Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Brake duct repair

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by BThayer23, Sep 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    A big +1 on that pic, thanks Ben. That really helped me last Friday when I was finishing up my install.

When you trim, make sure to leave it a little snug as opposed to loose so that the plastic can help hold the hose in place. The plastic will not hurt the hose.

2. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Very similar to what I did for Way's ducts. One word of caution--you might want to move those sensors/connectors up higher and out of the wheel well. They can melt with high temps. Ask me how I know....:D

3. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Hehe, you're welcome. Imagine an air-powered hand-held reciprocating saw - somewhat of a cross between a sawzall and a skil saw - and then imagine all the trimming happening in about 5 minutes. It went through that thick plastic like a hot knife through buttah, and the raw finish gives it that DIY track car look. :D

Yup. Trim a little, check fit, trim a little more. The idea is to make just enough space for the duct to turn the corner. I always have to sit on the ground, push the fender liner in place with my foot, and push the plastic clips in by hand.

Ha, nice. Will do. I can imagine the four-letter words that you came up with after seeing those suckers melt. Speed sensors are not cheap...:prrr:

And lastly, I have to put in another plug for Chris Sneed. Not only did he put together a great brake duct kit, but he and his brother helped me out at VIR this weekend when my crank pulley failed. He's a really nice guy and is quick to lend a helping hand if your car's having trouble.

Sneed's Speed Shop - MINI Cooper Parts

4. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Finished my duct tape repair:

[​IMG]

5. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Nice!

Looks like those rotors have been getting some use, very nice!

6. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Yup. :D I ran through one set of XP-12 pads, then opted for the much cheaper ST-43 pads. I liked the ST-43's for a few different reasons, but they really chew up the rotors.

7. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    That flexible hose/tubing is VERY common in the aviation world...Generically call scat tubing...is available in the numerous sizes...pick a diameter...and you buy it by the inch.
    If the wiring the gives it shape is good, most repairs are done with some tape...metal tape, with some Fiberglass duct tape (called pit tape or cargo pit tape), and it works fine.
    If you know any larger FBO's (fixed base operators) at a bigger General aviation airport (non-airline side...think piper's, Cessna's, and Lear jets)with a parts counter, tell them the diameter you need and the length you want..they may stock it...they may need to order it!! Either way, as the $$, the price varies a lot...and tell then it for a non-aviation use...it may save you a few $$'s.
    While you are there you can buy a few gallons of leaded av-gas for race day...remember off-road use...or say you have an ultra light...it is cheaper than leaded cam race fuel...from the smell I think it is the same stuff!!