Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Broke my strut brace

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by davavd, Oct 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Last night, while preparing to change my Uni filter, I disconnected the driver-side end of my JCW strut brace and lifted it (like I always do) so I could get the top off of the air box. When I had lifted it about 8", the other end of the brace broke at the threads. That is the sad part of the story. The good part is, I found one (thanks, MA) at eminiparts.com for less than I paid 7 years ago. Now, the reason for this post is that the old bar had, not so long after I installed it, become rather badly discolored from contact with the insulation on the under side of the bonnet. I would like to avoid this with the new and preserve the "bling-value" as much as I can. does anyone know a solution, or, failing that, have any ideas of things I could try?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I've seen one other JCW brace broken like that. Time to see the welder.

You could spray the new one with some clear coat to keep the corrosion at bay.

3. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Mine discolored too, but more on the flat spot. Use can also use clear vinyl or keep polishing it. As to why it broke, idk when I do oil or air filter I always remove it completely instead of just one end.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Same thing happened to one of our MOM'ers... Easy repair.... Just take the clevis end and drill and tap a matching hole where the stud end broke. Replace it with the same metric size stud.... Then reassemble.... Save time and have the other end modified with this "stud" repair while you are at it...

Get the pieces / parts polished to a high luster and then have the brace clear powder coated...

Major design error for the clevis / threaded end to be made from aluminum by MINI.. The replacement stud and hex nuts used in the repair were made from T316 SS....

5. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice and tips, y'all!

6. Carey P

Carey P New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hope you kept your old brace. Sent you PM! Thx.