Engine Drivetrain 3rd Gen Burger Tuning Stage 1 B48

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by TurboChargedChiliPepper, May 19, 2014.

1. TurboChargedChiliPepper

May 14, 2014
    REALTOR, insurance broker.
    Raleigh, NC
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    To all of the F56 early adopters... I just saw yesterday where Burger Tuning is already in development of a JB4 type plug n play tune for the S model. From experience with the JB+ for N18 engines, I can say that this will be a great addition to anyone seeking extra power, in a safe manner. BMS has been active in the BMW tuning scene for a long time. While not a fan of the F56 S engine in its stock form, I have hope that this tune may make it more responsive and fun to drive like the N18 engine is. Hope this makes someone happy that they are already working on tunes, and it's by a legit company based in the LA area.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    This should be interesting in a good way.

Also many tuners have tuned the new MINI F56 motor for a while now because its the same motor that is in one of the 3 Series BMWs.

3. TurboChargedChiliPepper

May 14, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    It's actually not the same engine. Totally different. The injector has been repositioned from the side to the center like in the N54, it's bore and stroke are totally different, as is most everything else. The N20 and B48 are different. Both share nearly perfect 2000cc displacement, but everything else is all new.

4. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    It's the same engine I know people that tune them (not RMW) and it is a BMW moter that is used in another car and they have confirmed it. The F56 is so detuned it laughable but hey I guess everyone else knows nothing. I don't really car because it's an ugly car and BMW failed with this version of a MINI and I will never buy one.

5. TurboChargedChiliPepper

May 14, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    New BMW 2.0 litre B48 turbo four to produce up to 255 hp/400 Nm

I'm sorry but you're incorrect. It is an all new engine. BTW, I work for BMW.

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    That's great I am not going to argue with you about a car that I will never ever own.

Buy the way I was wrong it's in the 2 series not the 3 series and people have already been tuning them so it's still not a big deal.

Good luck in sales.

7. TurboChargedChiliPepper

May 14, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I'm never going to own an F56 either. It's disappointing to look at, and to drive. The B48 engine in the F56 is all new, and that is it's first application. The 2-Series still uses the N20B20. The "2-Series Active Tourer" which is not a 2-Series and isn't even out yet, will use the B48. Since the B48 has only been out for about a month and a half now, there are very limited tuners that have done something with it. I think the engine has potential, but the application it's used in, doesn't. Instead of making their cars isolation chambers, BMW should focus on making all of their cars as great as the E46 and E90 were, and for the MINI - R53 and R56. This newest bunch of stuff they've been making is a disappointment.

I'm not in sales.

8. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Whatever I don't care.

9. TurboChargedChiliPepper

May 14, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Not sure what that attitude is for, as it never hurts to learn something you don't know, or are incorrect about. I'm right there with you though about the F56.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Never mind Dave......he doesn't have an "I'm sorry" mode. :)

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I was wrong once this year and it only happens once a year. :lol:
    Read my signature and you will understand a little.

Buy a "NEW Original" F56 MINI because it is the best MINI ever built. :Thumbsup:

12. TurboChargedChiliPepper

May 14, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I get it. Not trying to give you a hard time or anything. On a note about the F56... Can you believe it doesn't have a dipstick!!!! Knowing how many issues BMW's have been known to have with electrical things and sensors, I don't think I would ever be able to rest easily relying solely on an electronic oil level sensor, or not being able to see how filthy the oil is without draining out a little, or replacing the oil filter. I have yet to see a BMW turbocharged engine that doesn't guzzle oil. I'm hoping they will reconsider the dipstick on future applications.

13. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    BMW just figured that out yesterday, as well....

Someone in legal said "Oh Carp", wut happens when the engine runs out of oil...

Legal Dude next to him said.... Quick, no extended warranty unless we charge a lot.... No warranty transfer to second owner... etc... etc...

Communications Dude next to him.... Let's leak a test balloon over at MF as a rumor...

Other legal dude.... We are great aren't we.....:ihih:

14. TurboChargedChiliPepper

May 14, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    MF reports a lot of incorrect stuff, and I have a sneaking suspicion that BMW pays them to rave about all of their products. he warranty claims they made are incorrect, at least for now. They had to come out and admit that their first reports were wrong. I feel like MF is too pro-BMW. It's like if BMW made the Tata Nano, but charged $65K for it, MF would rave how great it is, and how it's better than everything else in the world.

15. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I've been considering getting a second car for a DD just to keep miles off the Lenz. I love my R56 despite several reliability issues. I just got the timing chain changed yesterday on the extended warranty. We'll see how that goes. I was just about to do it myself when I discovered the extended warranty thing...I've been out of touch for while. The Lenz is all tuned up and I simply love getting in it and hauling a little ass on a daily basis.

I don't like the looks of the F...so I haven't driven one. I'm not inclined to even bother. So, I'm thinking more an more about getting a used R56 and going through some more of the pain and get it configured for DDing fun. Likely will be a Hardtop again. But, all other things being equal would you guys choose an N14 based model or an N18? I'm also still considering getting a Justa and spiffing that up...though, giving up that much torque might be just too disappointing. Also, several of you here gave me some great advice for the Lenz and I'm just curious about you're view of the Roadster, Coupe, etc...

16. JenLane

JenLane New Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I have an N18 Coupe and I love it. I know - not everyone loves the aesthetic, but I do and I adore mine.

The N18 seems to be greatly improved over the N14. Far fewer reports of carbon build up at higher mileage, fewer issues, and so forth. I don't have a full list of service bulletins on the N18 but off the top of my head, I recall one for an oil wicking issue - handled by dealers under warranty.

I'm running a JB+ and the DDM CAI on my R58 and I have no complaints. Just don't crank the JB+ much past 50% and you won't run lean. That's my only suggestion there.

One of the things I like about my R58 is boot space. No rear seats to clutter with stuff and a huge boot. Known Coupe issues are small: rattles. There's one that can come from the boot latch, resolved with a small piece of tubing cut lengthwise if tightening the screws doesn't help. Also, the tonneau covers have hard plastic corners that can tap against the hard plastic on the outside edge of the boot. Just apply some soft Velcro to the contact point on the tonneau cover. You can't see it - or hear it.

17. TurboChargedChiliPepper

May 14, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I would get the N18. Far more reliable, and the JB+ works as well as most stage 1 and 2 tunes for the N14. If you are only looking for a MINI, that's the way I would go, but if you want a new car, I would seriously look at the new GTI, or even a Focus ST. The Fiesta ST is another car I would check out. The GTI would get my money.