Buy a Used Car Warranty?

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by patchelect, Nov 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Currently still working in electric motors sales a
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I'm contemplating getting a warranty for my car, an '05 S with 34K on the clock. Any factory warranty is long gone so my only options would be aftermarket ones. Is there any consensus on the good, the bad, and the ugly with these companies? I've done some internet searches and obviously there's a story for anything and everything. The suggested company was GWC. According to the BBB they have had a reasonably favorable bunch of responses, but I wonder if there's any first hand experiences that anyone might offer.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    If you plan to mod your MINI you will be throwing your money away. Mods will void that warranty. I'm not a believer in extended warranties. Put that money in the bank & use it for repairs if needed.

3. patchelect

patchelect New Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Currently still working in electric motors sales a
    Patchogue, NY/Dalton Ma
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I have no plans to mod, but your point is well taken. Bank the payment for the "insurance" and make it an annual commitment and repairs should be financed with some luck. Most of the policies that are "cheap" don't cover anything, and the ones that seem to cover the right things are expensive and probably won't cover "that" thing anyway!

And I'm not a fan of extended warranties either. It's just that reading about the potential failures and related expenses has me a bit unnerved. I guess I need to grit my teeth and jump in!

4. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    You own what is considered the best series of MINI made to far....the R53. I agree with Chuck, bank the money and go have some fun. The only teeth gritting that should be necessary is from the perpetual smile you'll have while driving.