1st Gen R53 Cooper S CAI - paper element

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by javelina1, Oct 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. javelina1

javelina1 New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Arizona
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Group,

I'm new to M/A, and looking forward to contributing and not just lurking. :D

I'm not a big fan of foam or oiled cloth. I like paper elements. Was just wondering if there's a CAI that uses throw away paper elements? (Something besides the stock or JCW solution).

anyone aware of a CAI as such? (not stock, nor JCW, nor something that uses foam or oiled cloth). :)

TIA,

-Jav

2. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I'm afraid I do not, but the paper ones look restrictive to me compared to the others. What are your concerns about the other type?

Jim

3. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    MINI uses Paper Element (Stock).

4. javelina1

javelina1 New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Arizona
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I feel that paper does an excellent job, and I really don't mind throwing away an element every 10 or 15K miles. My gut tells me that a less restrictive, oiled element will let larger micron's through.

I know there are studies out there to support whatever CAI it's focused on. Not trying to incite a CAI thread. :) If folks like the cotton or foam, more power to them.

I was just wondering if there was paper option out there, (beyond stock and the JCW). Like a cone paper, to increase a bit more the air flow, but yet still retained the paper elements superb filtering capabilities. As noted, I'd be willing to throw it away for a new paper element, per a prescribe replacement schedule.

thanks for responding Jim.

-Jav

5. javelina1

javelina1 New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Arizona
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I live in AZ, and we have the periodic sand storms. and lots of fine dust. So any way to allow a higher in flow, yet retain the excellent filter capabilities...

6. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Dinian CAI's use disposable gauze filters.....
    One thought...get any CAI that you like, then get a K&N filter, then add one of their "prefilter" protectors...it is like a bag with a drawstring tom keep it on..this will keep the coarser stuff out..they are usually used to protect the filter in off road installations.
    Paper filters are pretty restrestive, and not all that effective...but they are common cause they are cheap for the OEM's.
    Putting a paper filter on an CAI will obliterate perhaps 50% of the gains you get from a cai....making it not very cost effective...and it will sound muffled with a paper filter...getting rid of the other reason for a CAI.

7. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    And a bit of a history lesson...most cars for years used an oil bathed metal mesh filter...nearly 0 restriction, and it as pretty effective, but it did take mataince...oem's went to paper for less cost, and quicker mataince...not better filtering. The old filter systems did a good job, but just like the foam/gauze filters, needed a degree of skill to service, and a bit of time.

8. javelina1

javelina1 New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Arizona
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I didn't know about the prefilter protectors. thanks for the input. I'll do a bit more research on the types of elements.

thx.
    -Jav

9. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    If you go to the KN website, the filter protectors or prefilter bags might be listed with the "universal" filters....they are commonly used in dusty applications...

10. joey4420

joey4420 New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Liberty Twp OH
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nobs Engineering uses a non-oil filter, but it isn't paper either... it is a dry filter that can be washed out.

I use there CAI and have been very happy for the last 5000 miles.

11. Zeyk_Shade

Zeyk_Shade Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    What your gut may tell you about foam filters isn't the reality.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r8NajjYkFA&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Automotive Air Filter Test[/ame]

I've had paper, gauze and foam. Foam is by far the best all around in my experience.

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Only reason to go to a paper filter is ease of replacement. No brains needed to throw out the old and put in the new. Better filters req. a bit more maintenance is all.

And yes, the foam ones are the best filters and the easiest to maintain. Got 100k's of miles on foam filters with no complaints.

13. joey4420

joey4420 New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Liberty Twp OH
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice info on the True Flow, too bad they are out of business.

14. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    It really does come down to higher air flow. I could tell a difference as soon as I put the K&N in the air box. I believe their web site says the started out making them for off road motorcycles in very dusty conditions.

Jim

15. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Oh boy......here we go again.

:D

K&N will flow more air when new, but they will clog up faster than the foam filter will. Foam way out performs pleated in the off road arena. I have 35+ yrs of running off road stuff and they all use a foam filter. Much more consistent flow with no drop off when dirty. The racers that use the pleated filters are sponsored and have to. Check with the guys that don't have a lot of sponsors to pay for parts and they will all be running foam.