1st Gen R53 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Cam and Crank position for timing?

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Got me on this one. Might want to check with one of the folks that rebuilds a lot on MINI engines like Chad, Way or Helix.

2. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    you will need to pull the crank damper, and the oil pump
    Point the two arrows on the lower gear straight down, line the two gold links onto the arrows
    then point the arrow on the cam at the gold link up top then put the guides and tensioner on tight.
    If you dont feel comfortable with any of these directions, take it to a shop.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    You decently need a Bentley Manual. But like Nathan said I would call Detroit Tuned and see if they can help.

4. smokintires

smokintires New Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I usually deal with way, nothing against the or there's just that's who's been helping, and I emailed them yesterday no response yet

How many pages is the bently? I have unlimited copies for college so maybe I'll just make one lol

5. clifforddward

clifforddward Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    #5 clifforddward, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    You did not mention...but have you moved either the crank or camshaft? Neither has to be moved to replace the guides, but I imagine you must have turned something or you would not be asking in the first place, right?

One of the sources already mentioned in this thread may know a better way, but I do know you can reset engine timing from scratch by taking off the front cover so you have access to view both the crank position and the camshaft position...they can be reset with the related marks on the chain. The "how to" on all of this is outlined in the Bentley manual...you'll absolutely want one for this work.

Lots of stuff to remove and gaskets to replace when you get all the way down to the front cover being pulled....

Oh, and if I remember correctly, cylinder one is not exactly at TDC when in reference position...that's part of the reason for need of the cam sprocket holding jig when working in this area of the engine.

Unfortunately at this point you may be in a fix...the valve guides and tensioner are dead easy to replace from the top with simple removal of the cam sprocket with chain held in position on the crank gear while the guides are replaced...but if you turned either the crank or camshaft while the chain was off, then you have an engine timing issue to deal with. How did you get down to replacing the guides without a Bentley Manual or at least a Haynes Manual...did you just start removing stuff?

6. smokintires

smokintires New Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    No I mistook the line engraved into the cam sprocket as the timing mark rather than the triangle, an yes I rotated both, and I did go to the timing cover cause i had heard the piece under the chain can snap and I wanted to check.
    I got a response from way and reference position is when all cylinders are even, so I had the marks lined up, but since the crank spins twice per every cam rotation, doesn't that mean I can turn the frank another turn till it lines up again then it should be good?

7. smokintires

smokintires New Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    So I set it with the cam mark pointing vertical and lines the marks up, they are going in the correct order and the cylinders are going down when the intake valves open is there anytikng else I have to check before I put it together again?

8. clifforddward

clifforddward Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I can't answer your question from memory and don't have access to my Bentley manual where I am this week...perhaps someone else here on the forum can reference theirs and provide an answer for you...

9. DJBishopNYC

DJBishopNYC Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's wrong. The two lower arrows have to be pointed @ the 3:00 & (for the sake of argument) 4:00 positions. Match 2 the brass links with those settings & make sure your 1st piston is at the top. This is on a R53 I assume.