Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Cam install options?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by MUshadd, May 22, 2009.

1. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    I’ve done this job more than a few times and highly recommend using the OEM locking tool and OEM bolt, but I anticipate the question of “can the cam be changed without the camshaft-locking tool” will probably come up later here once the interested parties have reviewed the procedure. The short answer is yes, if fact, if you use an ARP camshaft bolt kit, the tool cannot be used. Without the tool, put screwdriver shafts in the front brake rotor veins on each side and use as brakes against the calipers, place the car in gear, mark the chain at the timing mark, and loosen the cam bolt. I’ve encountered a MINI with weak clutch grip that required a breaker bar and socket on the crankshaft bolt to assist in locking the cam chain. When installing an OEM bolt, always use a new, unused bolt, and clean the camshaft’s internal threads. The OE bolt is not specified to torque with lubrication like ARP’s bolt. I have a couple more tips not mentioned in the service manuals or TIS I’ll provide if any are interested.

2. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
  3. jhiggs26

jhiggs26 New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I'm no mechanic as Nitrominis points out. I just enjoy working on cars, especially classics and newborns. I research and figure out a way of reaching the endzone. Guys like K-huevo and Nitrominis help out a bunch! :Thumbsup:

Use the tool if you can. You local MINI dealer may be able to lone it to you if you're nice to them!

Jeremy

4. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

Welcome to the M/A J-man. I think that you will like it here? :cornut:

Jeremy has some great information and is extremely helpful to anyone!!

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The "rules" state for every link to "that other site" you need to place 2 on there back to here. So how ya gonna pull that one off Lynn :D

6. AllBlack05S

AllBlack05S New Member

May 18, 2009
    Selling Harley parts worldwide
    Bartlett, Il
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll post them for a fee Lynn :devil:

7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Yes your correct. I will have it handled tonight.
    Hey doesn't a new recruit count for something? :lol:

Ya :lol:

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Off topic...but..some have said I should run a contest to see who can refer the most new members in x period of time.

Personally, I think that is akin to buying subscribers and that is something I don't do on principle. The site needs to stand on it's own merits, not on hokey contests.

Back to cam installs please....

9. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    OFF?*ON? Topic
    I have been referring many other forum members to view a couple of the threads that I have been posting on with regards to their interests in the subject matter. In this case mainly this *cam thread.
    IMO this forum will stand on its own and be very strong if it continues its direction thus far.:cornut:

10. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Hi... its me!! Found this place, and thought I could learn a bit of stuff!! and maybe share a bit also..

I made a cam locking tool.. from stuff around the Garage.. but I agree.. it sure makes it an easyer job.

Hi Ya'll

Just me............................

Thumper

11. MUshadd

MUshadd New Member

May 21, 2009
    Huntington
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I looked at Helix, but philly is about 8hours from me. I tried Way Motor Works (Indy is about 5 hours, Atlanta is about 8) However, Ive communicated both by email and PM separately, but whenever I ask for a quote, I never got a response.:confused: Maybe they feel if I have to ask, I can't afford it.

It is reassuring to hear that this job can be done by a competent mechanic, and not just by a MINI spec. I actually have a very knowledgeable mechanic in Ohio that did my Coilovers and BBK for free, and offered to install the cam for free as well. I just had reserves because he is not really familiar with MINIs, but it sounds like if I hand him my MINI, cam, and bentley, he should have no problems...

12. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    LOL... most all the SOHC cams are within the limits of most Mechanics.. there are a few issues that he will have to "discover" but if he has a book.. it is cake!! Need to lift the engine and remove the pass side engine mount ( 15 min) don't forget the cam sensor ( 5 min) and then is is just a cam replacement! The cam tensioner on the side of the block is just a PITA to reach... but again cake( see the above posts..)

Having NEVER done one you can figure on 1.5 to 2.0 hours.. the technician should have no problems. Have fun and enjoy the cam!!

Just me..............................

Thumper

13. british RACING green

May 29, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    so it sounds like just about anyone "cam" do this

14. imspencerwithanr53

imspencerwithanr53 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Barista
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I plan on doing it myself this summer once I get money... We'll see how that goes. (Keep you updated on what can go wrong.) lol

15. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I know jack about this. Got some pics?

16. jhiggs26

jhiggs26 New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
  17. Uncle

Uncle New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Luckily I caught Waylon up in Indy this weekend and he did a Cam job for me under two hours.

18. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    That's a niffty case, I would like to have the bracket tool for something else, but if you must lift the motor to put the support bracket on you might as well just use whatever is lifting the motor to begin with, the tensioner assembly tool is actually for installing the early model cranshaft pulley and is not suited for either the late model crankshaft vibration damper pulley or aftermarket versions; it doesn't even do the early model well.

19. jhiggs26

jhiggs26 New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Yeah Keith I just read about a poor guy on NAM having early to late crank pulley install problems.

It pays to get the right tools from the get go; luckily these tools are not absolutely necessary for a cam swap.

I've got some plate aluminum kicking around and may just make a cam sprocket holder next I'm in there.

Jeremy