Cams, headwork and track build

Discussion in 'Car Builds, Projects, Idea's Experiments' started by btwdriver, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Bump!
    Moar?

2. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Here are some pictures of the oil pan, oil pump and the windage tray. Rally, there is really no room to lower the oil pan, it is all pretty tight in there.

Here is an exterior shot of the oil pan:

[​IMG]

Here is the oil pump, notice it is chain driven, you can see the plastic protective cover on the side:

[​IMG]

Here is the windage tray:

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of the windage tray:

[​IMG]

Here is the depth of the oil pump, from the top of the pan:

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the depth of the oil pan, the angle isn't the best, but it is just a hair deeper than 4 1/2":

[​IMG]

I will be dropping the engine off to Endyn to have the oil pan work done. They will also be milling the alignment hole in the OS Giken flywheel.

3. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Greatly appreciate you taking the time to take pics/measurements. Thanks!

4. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Some photos of the Schrick camshafts.

Inlet
    [​IMG]

Exhaust
    [​IMG]

A great deal of precision workmanship and numerous machining steps are necessary to make these R56 camshafts.

5. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Delays...

I spoke with Larry at Endyn last week and he indicated that because of his existing back log of work, it would be at least 2 months before my head is finished. He was quite defensive when I asked what the ETA on the work was.

I am not super happy that it will take this long to complete the work. Due to this serious delay, I pulled the trigger on buying a 1999 Miata to build as a Spec Miata. It was always my plan to build a Spec Miata to race, this delay just changed my timing of that.

6. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Larry is good

but sometimes very, very slow.

The Spec Miata sounds like a blast. I've spent a lot of time thinking about that. The other Miata thing I'd like to do is the Monster Miata.... Drop in a 5.0 V8..... Fits surprisingly well....

Matt

7. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Wow! That's a bummer. Did you know that there was going to be a delay like that? So your car is in pieces all that time? And he is defensive about it? :frown5:

8. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I did know there was going to be a little bit of a delay. My initial expectation was that it would be around 3 weeks before he could look at it, and probably another 3 before he would be completed. That was almost 6 weeks ago. I certainly was not expecting a timeframe of around 4 months. If I knew that was the case, I would certainly have done something else.

Anyway, the Miata will allow me to start racing, which will probably be more fun than tracking the MINI anyway.

9. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Sorry to hear about the MINI set back. I hope you stay the course with the MINI. I think you were blazing new ground with the N-14 engine.

10. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I will definitely continue with this project! I have always planned on building a Spec Miata. The only thing that has changed are the priorities of these two projects.

I should also clarify that the timeline above of 3 weeks, was for a head that does not need any development work done, i.e. a head that has been ported by Endyn before. I WAS expecting my work to take longer as Endyn has not done any port work on an R56 before.

My main point on this was really to not expect any updates for a couple months.

11. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Hang in there on the MINI.

Time to focus on that spec Miata, at least you have something you can work on.

12. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Well thats cool. So dang easy to get those Miata's to run good :cornut: Unfortunately the Endyn problem will make me think twice about their products :idea:

13. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I think Endyn is also blazing new ground with the R56 engine. I'm sure Endyne wants to get it right as well. Shouldn't sell this effort short for anything. Rushing something like this will never turn out good for anyone. I'm still looking forward to following this thread.:Thumbsup:

14. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    When I got my head...

it took a very, very long time as well. This was before they converted to CNC. For the Tritec, they should be faster, as they have the programs already done.

Matt

15. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    But for Btwdriver who has the Prince engine, wouldn't Endyne be starting from zero? Or could some of the Tritec work be transferred?

16. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    They would be starting from zero, the two engines have basically nothing in common. I think Dr. O's mention of the Tritec engine was that you could expect a faster turn around on a product that was already developed. Part of why it takes Endyn so long on a new engine is because they develop a CNC program. This undoubtedly takes longer on the first one. Then repetition is much easier.

17. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    correct...

Larry does good work, and it would be a shame if those that want a Tritec part worked over because of the time it takes for Prince engine work dropped him from consideration. That said, Larry has never been the fastest so make sure that you ask about it going in. Also, Keith at Workin Mini has a good relationship with Larry and distributes his stuff. If you're interested in stuff from Endyn talking to Keith would be a good idea.

Matt

18. JDinho

JDinho New Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Shame to hear of the delay, still this project excites me!

Nice to read about somebody looking to share their experience of pushing the R56 envelope!

19. Chase

Chase New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My ENDYN experience has been nothing but pleasant. my head only took 3 weeks and that was before they started cnc and it was also after larry had some experience with the r53 mini head. I believe your head is the first r56 he has messed with, so im sure that you understand it taking longer than anticipated. I am very excited to see how it turns out.

20. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I got some pictures of the complete carbon fiber sunroof filler panel. It should ship out to me early next week. From the photo, it looks very nice!

[​IMG]