1st Gen Most liked posts in thread: Camshafts..

1. Whine not Walnuts

Whine not Walnuts Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    #2 Whine not Walnuts, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    I have Thumper's TP408 but just got his V2. Changing the springs out as the V2 has some really high lifts, enough so that I will put lash caps under the exhaust rocker arms as the cam was designed so that it did not hit the plug tubes. Stiffer springs are needed to handle the extra spring compression from the taller lobes.

The 408 is one step up from the 405. The 405 has a lower torque curve but just cannot match the power of the 408 once you get over 3k. Will see if the V2 to 408 power increase is better than the 408 to 405.

SAM_1691.JPG

SAM_1693.JPG

2. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    A few quick little tips for anyone who has never worked with lash caps before:

1.Do not forget to plug your oil galleries while the rocker cover is off, at least until the rocker shafts are tightened. Lash Caps are small.

2. Have a small magnetic pickup tool and pick, in with your job tools.

3. Place a small amount of grease or assembly lube in the cup of the Cap prior to placement on the valve stem. It will help hold it in place during rocker arm alignment.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    #6 Whine not Walnuts, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    The "V" cams have the lift and duration for more than 8000 revs and any head that is rated for 8000 will not need a stiffer spring change out.

I don't track my car and my Thumper TPR2 head is an "intermediate" valve head rated for 7500 rpms. I have chosen not to go the 8k route, one for the impact on the engine although there are numerous Gen1's doing so without issue, and two, I am running higher boosts that in turn bring on higher IATs. The TRP2 also has different valves so 8000 rpms are not suggested.

I chose the intermediate head for how I drive my car. I will hit the rev limiter in first but up until the time I started logging for my tune I never hit the limiter in 2nd let alone 3rd. In second at 7500 the car is going a little over 65 and in 3rd a little over 95. Although I see 65 on street driving, I don't need to hit 95 to have fun with the car. I just don't see the need for the extra 500 rpms and the result is that the head costs less, which leaves money for other things, one being something as this V2 cam that is more expensive than the normal "modified" cam grind.

4. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    In some instances, springs are an essential portion of a more aggressive cam installation. In the picture below the spring on the right, the taller one, is made for high lift cams and is what Thumper puts on his TPR2-R big valve head. The shorter one on the left is the spring from my TPR2 intermediate valve head. I am in the process of changing out these shorter springs and installing the taller.

I also used some 400 grit valve compound and reseated all my valves. SAM_1696.JPG

5. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    That's the beauty of doing the dyno tune. Doesn't matter what mods you have done to it, your able to take those base readings and adjust from there... If you are doing/getting a "can" tune then yes the tuner needs to know what mods have been done to give you the correct "can" tune...

6. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Your results should help the subscribers to MA with camshaft selections. We have mild to wild Cams. Drop in smooth idle and power to stock red line or modified red line. Or where ever you like to go. Stock cylinder Head- Ported TPR1 Head- TPR2 Head and the TPR2r Heads.
    On our Racing Profiles ( V0 - V2 - V3 ) we decided to work WITH the limitations of the exhaust lobe and the spark plug tube, by having the lobe cut to an exact measure and then adding the lash cap to maintain the correct Lifter Pre-load. So we can have a .390" ( 9.90mm ) exhaust lift at the Valve and NO Spark Plug tube interference . Wooooo.... Hoooo... Big cams rock !

7. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    So I got the cam installed and car started right up. The V2 is a very aggressive grind, enough so that I needed to put lash caps on the exhaust valves to take full advantage of the .390 exhaust valve lift. Some even say that a cam this aggressive requires a Vi-PEC ECU but I do have it idling at around 1250 (it will idle lower but wants to stall on pedal lift) and I am playing with the "Tip-in", RPM vs Pedal Angle and low rev fuel settings.

Once you get up over 2500 I can get wheel spin in 1st all the way up to shifting into 2nd.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Any chance you are going to do a dyno to measure the difference?

9. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Been waiting for someone to ask this.The 4th post about Mike Pinson and his review of a couple of cam shafts yet it was mentioned they had not been Tuned yet. My first thought is why not. Does he not want to know exactly what is happening and want to know that he is getting the very most out of each part..With his racing experience I'd think that would be what he is after.. and yes I realize it is not all about peak numbers but the curve within it all, which is why they need to be Tuned to find out... Years ago I had my R-52 justa tuned at a RMW Tuning Event in town and some people thought I was crazy for paying $350 for the dyno tune on a Justa but while I only picked up 7 peak HP & Ft lbs I did have areas within the curve that picked up as much as 15 ft lbs... So that made it worth it to me...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Agreed.. the cam spec isnt a needed data for a dyno tune ! run it , get base and then tune from there. This is how they do Dyno's since the late 60's , there are too many classified cams and manifolds in class racing, Drag or Track. And most track guys are not happy if a few HIGH HP cars show up in their class.. ( thus the invent of all the electronics back in the early 90's and the 9.90 Class @ the drags..) they will change the class requirements, or under tune the car. Thus the dyno befor the race. There are more than a few of my cars out there under tuned for just that reason... Dynos are a tool !!

11. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Good ole 'Pac Racing Conical ' Springs. Smaller at the top than the base.. saves weight. Throw in a 'titanium' retainer which saves more weight ( also stronger ) and then you can 'get some '!!

12. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Myles, give up on trying to teach Thumper anything. Go over to Unfiltered and read the BS thread on thumpers stuff.

He sold a brand new hand ported head to Richard that had leaking valves. Posting any real news about thumpers stuff is a waste of time on M/A

13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Lee, I have not commented in this thread for good reason and I just wanted my good friend Myles to not waste his time.

Charlie and Thumper.can have the thread all to themselves again because no one cares.

14. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Agree 100%. The debate is good especially if it's respectful and with facts.

Yea, @myles2go had a bit of an aggressive tone in his response. But in the end, fair question which you responded with some good information and a tone similar to his further feeding the fire. :Whistling:

Not true, I do and I learned a few things. :Cigar:

Again, agree 100%. Let's have a good debate on the facts, results and/or opinions. Everyone has different ways, perspectives and goals. Which is good.

Let's leave personal attacks out of the equation. :Stig:

15. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I wish they would take the electronics out of all the class. Some of those "index classes" the cars leave the line for 1 second or so and then it's as if they turned off for another second or 2 then wide open again to the finish. I have a hard time enjoying watching that...

16. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    thumbnail_Mini Cooper Scott.jpg thumbnail_Mini Cooper Scott.jpg

17. Whine not Walnuts

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    Mike Pinson is a well known West Coast MINI Owner and Driver. His comments on Thumper's 408 and VO cams were as follows:

The Engine is a 1.6L inline 4 cylinder. The idle run's @ 1450 RPM for the TPRV0, The Idle run's @ 1100 RPM for the TRP408. ( Cams are not tuned yet ) Head is TPR2r / matched Ported I/M (Highly Modified).
    Piston are MTO CP Carrillo 9 1/2 to 1.
    Boost is 26 lbs on TPRV0 and 22 lbs on TPR408.
    Header Highly Modified by MP
    Exhaust Built by MP.
    CAI Sprintex Supercharge with Modified with GP inter cooler and modified M7 cold air box.
    Pulley 60 MM = 26 LBS OVER 3000 RPM
    injector 660 Blue Printed to 600.

In 6 gear both Cams pulls hard. What I'm saying, on the freeway @ 60 mph and you need to pass. Don't worry and don't down shift. Just floor It put! It puts you back in the seat. The TPRV 0 Is a little MORE than the TPR 408.

Try to launch @ 3000 RPM and it is over in 1st. or 2nd and most of the times 3rd, and my Hoosier R7 and you just have smoke.

Now here is the different. In auto X short tight corners you want the TPR 408. in longer not so tight Tracks you want the TPR-V0. The 408 power comes in a little sooner and not quite so hard. The "TPRV 0 is a Monster."

And the cam is the most powerful I have had in the car as of yet.

I'm running it right now @ SCCA auto cross, Big Willow. Street of Willow, and were going to Bonneville.
    I would say the TPR-V0 is about 20% more than the TPR408.

Mike (SilverFox) Pinson
    SCCA
    SCMM
    SMC
    55+ years of Racing

The VO has similar lifts and durations to the V2 but the V2 has a lower ICL so that power is built quicker in a short track or street condition. It was these comments by Mike Pinson that got me to buy the V2.

18. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    This is a load of BS. You don't need lash caps because of the the "very aggressive grind"! The lash caps are needed to make up for the small base circle. The RMW street cam has .396 lift and doesn't require lash caps or dinging the tubes!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Myles, let me help you with this camshaft 'BS' as you like to say. cool?
    'very aggressive grind' is a camshaft profile to help people decide on the level of the camshaft.
    Now the "BS".. the Spark Plug tube is a restriction on the Head. This is a known fact. The Schrick Camshaft has a .352" exhaust lift. Schrick themselves say you might /will need to clearance ( ding ) that tube for clearance. Again that is .352 " lift !! Got that ??

20. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    #12 Thumper460, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    So Myles, as your training goes... you, however will have to READ up on 'Lifter Pre-load' and what it does and how it works. Google - Lifter Pre-load
    As we go.. the base circle on the BMW MINI camshaft is on a 1.180 ", the exhaust rocker ratio is 1.44:1 .This will keep the lifter Pre-load correct for max efficiency. And design of the lifter. Schrick knows this. as well as other cam grinders. The one way to 'PHYSICALLY' get more exhaust lift ( over .352 ) is you have to make the exhaust lobe smaller for the add'l exhaust lift. ( google camshaft base circles).. are you still with me here ?? IF there is a exhaust lift over .352-.355 " the base circle is cut to a point the it increases the distance and thus will change Pre-load and rocker ratio . Using the name you did.... My aggressive STREET cams also use a smaller base circle to get the exhaust lift. But NOT our Racing Camshafts.