1st Gen R53 Cooper S Can a ball joint break without other part failure?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by minintrigue, Feb 14, 2012.

1. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Ok, here's the question. A friend of mine with an 03 cooper s had her steering rack and PS pump replaced a couple of weeks ago, and 4 days later someone hit her on the drivers side as they were turning right from the left hand lane. She was on their left. Car was repaired, but now that it's at the alignment shop who did her steering work, they say the passenger ball joint is bad and can't align it.

Insurance company says the accident was on the other side, and they won't cover it. And that in 15 years the adjuster has never seen this. Especially since nothing else on that side is broken. He contends its just age and wear.

I contend that she was likely pushed into the curb and the ball joint, being the weakest point in the system broke. A lot like if your shoulder (which is a ball joint) can pop of of its socket without breaking your collar bone or arm bone, seems that your ball joint can fail without a control arm failure.

Regardless, the shop says that he could align it 4 days prior to the accident, no problem. And the car only has 300 more miles on it since then, 50 of which were between the accident and the shop.

So, what say you? Thanks

2. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Just curious, inner, outer, or tie-rod?

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Regardless, the shop says that he could align it 4 days prior to the accident, no problem. And the car only has 300 more miles on it since then, 50 of which were between the accident and the shop.

Have the shop call the insurance company. I'd fight over this if it was me.

Good luck...

4. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    inner

and yes, she is fighting them. They've been challenging the entire time.