Can someone explain compression ratio?

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by BThayer23, Dec 1, 2011.

1. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Can someone explain compression ratio to me? The definition of compression ratio is "a value that represents the ratio of the volume of its combustion chamber from its largest capacity to its smallest capacity."

I was reading about the new Toyota 86 (aka FR-S aka Subaru BRZ), which has an 86 mm bore and 86 mm stroke. That's kinda awesome, naming a car after the bore and stroke. So I got curious. According to Wikipedia, my E36 BMW is also square, 84mm x 84mm. Then I'm looking at the MINI's wiki page. Both the 1.6L Cooper and Cooper S engines have a 77mm bore and 85.8 mm stroke, but it mentions that the compression ratio of the Cooper is 10.5:1, while the Cooper S was lowered to 8.3:1.

But that doesn't make any sense to me. Why would they need to change the compression ratio and how do they change it? The stroke and bore didn't change, so how did they alter the compression ratio? And how do engine designers account for the increased intake pressure developed by a supercharger or turbocharger? Doesn't that throw everything out of whack? I see that a higher compression ratio is more efficient - compress the air and fuel more and it burns better. And it seems like if you overdo the compression, the air-fuel mix will detonate on its own, before the spark, and knock. But I don't understand how the compression ratio relates to the geometry of the engine. I would appreciate some insight on this so I can feel less ignorant. :idea:

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    The bore and stroke can stay the same but if the dimension from the piston pin to the top of the piston changes the CR changes. Or if all stay the same but the chamber volume in the heads are different the CR changes. So different heads or different pistons can change the CR.

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I see what you are getting at here...

The stroke is the distance the center point of the piston ring travels.

[​IMG]

Altering the "height" of the piston above that point changes the size of the space between the top of the piston and the bottom of the head. Given no other changes a "taller" piston would increase the compression ratio while a "shorter" one would decrease the ratio.

Altering the head gasket to be thicker or thinner than originally spec'ed is another method of changing the ratio.

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  5. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    #5 Angib, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
    The 'how' is well described above. The 'why' is because the turbo on the S model forces more air into the cylinder and reducing the compression ratio reduces the stress on the engine - though it also reduces the power. But the combination of the turbo on full song with the original compression ratio would end up with cylinder heads making extra unwanted power bulges in the bonnet/hood.

I never realised till now how 'undersquare' the 1.6 engine is (ie, stroke much greater than bore). This is very unusual (and very old-fashioned?) in a modern high-performance engine - even the 1960s Cooper S pushrod engine was nearer 'square'! The Toyota is 'square (bore equals stroke). Modern sports motorcycle engines go very 'oversquare' (up to bore equals 1.5 times stroke) - but then they are revving to 16,000rpm.

I'm surprised the Toyota is only 'square' as the engine power and torque numbers make it sound like a very 'top-end' motor - full power at 7000rpm and peak torque at 6600rpm sounds a nearly impossible combination - and nearly impossible to drive at less than max revs all the time.

6. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    The bore x stroke is partial formula for the engine size which along with other measurements is needed to calculate the CR.

And Nathan you are almost complete with your response found I presume on the internet? Your information (source?) forgot to mention the pistons volume. You can have a higher piston as your description and actually lower your CR with some piston specifications.

Basic engine rebuilding information:
    The calculation for determining compression

CR=(D + PV + DC + G + CC) / (PV + DC + G + CC)
    CR = Compression Ratio
    D = Displacement
    PV = Piston Volume
    DC = Deck Clearance Volume
    G = Gasket Volume
    CC = Combustion Chamber Volume

7. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    The MINI engine is more of a "stroker"..which I believe helps to bring in more usable torque at lower RPM .....

8. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    That's not really explaining it, is it? That's like me quoting a text book on IP protocols to a layman just to show off my amazing memory.

9. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Jerry there is not a simple answer and it does take a bit more then a simple response on achieving the CR and the calculations and measurements to achieve the CR of an engine.
    As for memory it is more experience that some may not be aware I have given many responses on other threads as well forums. To qualify having own and operated several years a Performance Engine Machine Shop this was as you said a text book summery what it takes to get the CR of an engine Jerry.

I got a pm from a MU member not altogether pleased about my response and want to clear something. I did mean to discredit anyone's response here it is my bad post technique. Some responses may be helpful but just needing a bit added. It is so easy to run to the internet for the instant answer however may not always supply the complete answer.

Apologies.

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I should not, nor should anyone else feel that they need to post a résumé to answer a question on this site.

@Nitrominis, you may be surprised to know that I am capable of getting out bed and finding the floor everyday without having to search Google. I, and many others that visit this site, do know stuff even if we do not have the experience you claim. Believe it or not, many of us have also changed our brake pads too without having a wall full of ASE Certifications. We haven't killed ourselves or others either.

11. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

Yes but how did you turn/machine your rotors when you changed the brake pads? My point is I do have both the experience and the credentials and offer them on a forum without asking for anything in return.
    Oh and you failed to mention on my wall is also M Series,P Series and L1 certifications. :wink:
    The M certification helps me to be able to post factual information here as well with questions I asked on other threads here on MU. The M certification signifies Engine Machinist.

12. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    That is very interesting. In my field we specifically look for people with a lot of certificates. We especially like ones that come with "Microsoft" printed at the top of the page. It saves us time interviewing them. We can move on to the next candidate right then and there.

Lynn, perhaps if you feel the need to tout your credentials at every turn, they are not as impressive as your perception of them?

13. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    So is there any way to compare the compression ratios of a normally aspirated engine and a forced induction engine? It seems like a good number to compare efficiencies of NA motors, but I can't think of a comparable number for FI motors. You can talk about intake PSI, but that's measured outside the combustion chamber. So with the advent of all these turbo direct injection engines, would it be wrong to say that compression ratio is becoming an outdated statistic?

14. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #14 Nitrominis, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
    The Compression Ration has a direct effect on the fuel used and vs verse. So as long as the engine is an internal combustion Compression Ratios will always be a factor in its design.

Most every "forced induction" engine is NA until you "boost" psi with Turbo,NOS,Supercharger,variable lift camshafts, etc.
    So to kinda answer your question you would have to compare them without the boost for a fair conclusion about "efficiencies"?

@Jerry we have been down this road many times, the question is do you go to your dentist without credentials hanging on the wall? Do you want a mechanic or a trained technician working on your MINI?

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I choose the one that shows attention to detail and would spend the extra 2 seconds it takes to proofread before showing the world they don't care enough to fix a simple item like using the term "ration" when "ratio" is the proper term.

16. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Dude, are you seriously comparing turning a wrench to a medical degree?

Fine. I hold an ICAR gold class certificate in collision repair, pretty much an industry standard comparable to ASE, but for body men and painters. All it took was about 40 hours of class time, a few open book multiple choice tests and $800. When do you want me to come over to work on you car?

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    :deadhorse:

really...........?

18. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Don't see how the compression ratio of a motor would ever become irrelevant or outdated in the design process or in tuning and Modding it.... 2 cents

19. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    In case anyone should think I am not qualified to make the posting above, I should like to go on record with the large number of tokens that I have collected from the top of corn flake packets, which I believe trumps all other certificates (including my two masters degrees and all those badges I got in the Scouts).

20. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    #20 minimark, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
    Please don't discount the countless hours spent polishing my cars in the driveway along with the untold time spent studying in Google..... :cool:

2cents