1st Gen R53 Cooper S Can't get iPod adapter or GROM SB1 to work...

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by EverydayGetaway, Dec 25, 2015.

1. EverydayGetaway

EverydayGetaway New Member

Dec 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    My R53 came with an iPod hook up in the glove box, when I connect my iPod touch to it nothing happens, it doesn't charge and there is no audio playback. When I push the "Mode" button on the stereo it displays "NO MAGAZINE". I have already taken the stereo out to check the wiring and replace the fuse, replaced both stereo fuses in the kick panel as well... still no joy.

I also bought a GROM SB1 from Out Motoring hoping that could solve my lack of music options. I hooked it up in the trunk and it connects to my phone just fine, even displays the name of my phone on the stereo, but still, no audio via music or phone calls. Hitting the "Mode" button displays the same "NO MAGAZINE" message, though sometimes it will display something like "TR01" for an instant and then back to the "NO MAGAZINE" display.

If it helps, my car has the HK system.

2. Razone23

Razone23 Active Member

Nov 3, 2013
    technical support
    nothern CT
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    #2 Razone23, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    It was the same issue. For me but these guys at MA helped. That was the first thing I did. At the end Inow have an Aux jack direct from mini. That I can use any smartphone or Sirius XM unit. You will need an optional grounding loop isolator jack that will avoid your HK to toggle back to FM randomly . Now you will need to disconnect your Sirius from the cigarette lighter outlet. When using your smartphone.as a audio source Never figured that one out,but hey I get my tunes that I want to hear.if you end up going that route let me know. I have an extra grounding jack. It was a duplicate order. I will never need a second one[​IMG]

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    Man you're way over my 63yo head. But the answer sounds reasonable. Jason

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Solution, dump crappy MINI radio and buy a much better aftermarket unit with an iPod imput.

5. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0

Yep.

I got a $99 unit from Crutchfield.com for the wife's non-mini.

Easy to swap and had Bluetooth streaming and hands free calling to boot.

6. Razone23

Razone23 Active Member

Nov 3, 2013
    technical support
    nothern CT
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0

Way to go less headaches

7. EverydayGetaway

Dec 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking of doing that originally, but read that if you have the HK system it's more trouble than it's worth. How true is that?

8. EverydayGetaway

Dec 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Nobody's got any input on the HK system...? :(

9. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    If the adapter just plugs into the head phone jack it won't charge. Only the bottom port of the phone does charging. But not all adapters that plugin there charge either.

When I click my MODE button I switch it to AUX. Then it plays fine.

The NO MAGAZINE message sounds like it's looking for the CD changer.

I got a CD changer used for my car and it didn't work. There are differences in the radios between 02-04 and 05-06. The guys at e-miniparts were very helpful in figuring that out.

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I believe the HK unit is digital. If you put in a new head unit you have to run all new wires to the speakers. But I am not sure. When I had the stock unit I had a Dice unit. It plugged into the CD changers plug. Then you plugged in your iPod and could use the radio to control the iPod. The up side to it also was that you could also use the iPod click wheel, it did not lock it out.

Now I have an Alpine.

11. EverydayGetaway

Dec 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The plug in the glove box is the iPod 30 pin connector. You say you push more and then switch to AUX, does pushing the mode button not switch it to AUX? Is there an additional step?

I'm aware that the "NO MAGAZINE" message refers to the CD changer, the GROM unit I have plugs in where the factory CD changer plugs in.

12. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    When I push my mode button it switches from radio to CD to AUX then back to radio. When I tried the changer the button would switch to it but nothing played.

Not sure about the GROM unit. But I would think the iPod adapter would show up as AUX or something when clicking the mode button.

13. EverydayGetaway

Dec 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yup, no dice... it never shows AUX as an input :(

14. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    It sounds like the ground loop issue. The adapter is plugged into the head unit at the back. Have you tried checking the cable is plugged in nice and snug? I found it can work its way loose sometimes.

Also, having worked with audio cables, I found they can sometimes go bad over time. You might consider having the cable checked out also.

15. EverydayGetaway

Dec 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yup, I pulled it out and unplugged everything, replaced the in-line fuse and put it all back in... no luck :(

I think I'm just going to take it to a car audio shop, I hate chasing down gremlins like this... thankfully there are a few near me with very good reputations.

16. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    The HK system is a PITA to wire around but it can be done with time and money.

It's sounds like your car had a CD changer installed and the only unplugged the wires from the rear when it was taken out but not the cable from the back of the radio.

17. EverydayGetaway

Dec 23, 2015
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The GROM SB1 is supposed to work by using the existing CD changer wires though. For some reason it just won't play music through it.