Most liked posts in thread: Car and Driver: Cooper v. 500 Comparison Test

1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I have heard many MINI people point the "plastic interior" on the 500 right away. It is funny to me, because every since I have been on the nets, folks have been complaining about the "plastic interior" on the MINI. Now ours seems to be OK. :lol:

Jim

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    MINI = High quality German plastic you know... :smilewinkgrin:

I have finally seen one up close. Looks OK to me, but does look like a cheaper car. Glad they are here, but would not buy one. Did I mention all that plastic?:eek:ut:

3. dawnmac72

dawnmac72 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Mortgage Business
    Murfreesboro, TN area
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I saw one at the Lane Auto Museum and was not impressed. The interior wasn't all that bad, it was the exterior of the car that I didn't like. I looks like they crossbred a MINI with a VW Bug. . .small and cute but no 'tough' factor at all.

4. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Plastic does not really bother me in either car. I too am glad they are here and I agree that it does not reach out grab me, but not a complete turn off either. It is the 1st Gen, so lets see where it goes. We need more small cars in the u.S.

Jim

5. dawnmac72

dawnmac72 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Mortgage Business
    Murfreesboro, TN area
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I can agree with a "wait and see" stance but the exterior could definitely use some beefing up.

BTW, Jim. . .is that a donut on your stubby in your garage picture?

6. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I agree completely that the exterior is close, but does need some work. Almost an old 500, but just not exactly there yet.

Yes sir it is a doughnut. Compliments of, none other then our very own, "Crashton" and cohorts Mark and Karol form MoM, at MOTD. :D

Jim

7. dawnmac72

dawnmac72 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Mortgage Business
    Murfreesboro, TN area
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Very nice! I love me some donuts. . .the kind you can eat (as long as it's not Krispy Kreme) AND the kind you do in an empty parking lot in the rain. :D

8. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Honestly, I just think they are ugly. :frown2: The new 500 Abarth could make 250 hp and run 13 second quarter miles while holding .99gs on the skid-pad. I still wouldn't get one.

9. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I believe Krispy Kreme was the first doughnut shop of its kind, back in the day and I remember them as a wee tike. I actually still like them, but it might be nostalgia setting in. The one you see is, in fact, real and eatable. :biggrin5:

Jim

10. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    #11 ronnie948, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
    Just way to tiny for me.

The Fiat 500 may be a great car but it is way to tiny for my taste. I had one back in 1959 when I was sixteen years old but I don't think I want another one. They are just too small for Americn roads.

There is no way to compare it to a larger Mini. The Mini looks huge next to the 500.

Fiat1959one.jpg

This was my Fiat 500 back in 1959

11. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I think the European Abarths do a good job of turning the 500 into something sporty without falling into the boy-racer trap (dependent upon moderation of decal application, of course). From what I've seen on Top Gear the Abarth is great fun to drive, too.

After sitting in a new 500 I'm skeptical about just how sporty they can feel: The driving position is high (and I already think the MINI's seat is too high) and the clutch and shifter don't feel very precise. Abarthification might solve the clutch and shifting, but the tallness of the car is what it is. Regardless, I gave a thumbs up the other day to the first 500 I saw on the road because they're on the right track.

12. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    They are a nice small car.

The Fiat 500 is probably a great car but to compare it to A Mini is not possible because they are not even close to being the same size. They are just plain "TINY" and more like a Smart for four. (Tall & Skinny) plus "TINY"

The Mini is also A great car. Maybe that is why every car company has to advertise that their cars are as good as a Mini, Remember Cadillac, Hummer, Juke,Etc. (Now Fiat)

I loved my Fiat 500 but that was fifty two years ago. I still like them only I think I will stick to my Mini Cooper.

We now have a Fiat dealer here in Daytona so I'm going up to test drive one when I get the time. Then I'll really know if they are even close to a Mini in comparison.

:Thumbsup: