Car Polisher Question

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Dwight, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    What's the difference between a random orbital polisher and a dual action one? :confused5:

2. MrDimple

MrDimple New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

Apr 26, 2009
    Creating Dimple® technology
    Waxhaw(Charlotte)NC, USA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A random orbital polisher like the Porter Cable #7424 I use is the type to have for the homeowner. The dual action does both random orbiting and full rotation "you need to be careful you don't burn the paint with full rotations, need to know how to keep it moving"
    I have had the greatest success with Blackfire products! Best I have ever used, man.
    Good luck.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Random orbital=random pad path on surface. Easy on surface

Dual action=predictable/same path. Can burn surface if not used properly.

4. Prima Car Care

Prima Car Care New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The common and popular polisher by Porter Cable, aka PC, (models 7424, 7336SP, 7336) is considered a "random-orbital, dual-action" polisher.

The "random-orbital" part means that it orbits in a random pattern (as opposed to rotating in a defined circle, such as the "rotary" or "high speed" type of polishers- these are the dangerous and typically unnecessary types of polishers). This is a key function of this type of polisher because it prevents the buildup of heat, and thus prevents you from creating swirls in your paint.

The "dual-action" part refers to the fact that it performs it's job using two mechanisms at one time: 1) it orbits, randomly (see above), and 2) it vibrates. The vibration aids in the tool's ability to move product around and, in the case of abrasives, to help break the product down properly.

If you are seeing them written as two different types of polishers, then it is most likely that one of the descriptors is just being left out of the description. In addition to the popular random-orbital dual-action polisher by Porter Cable, there are a few other similarly functioning polishers by other brands, such as Dewalt and Meguiar's (which is actually a re-badged PC).

Ultimately, if you are looking to purchase a polisher, you want to get a random-orbital, dual-action polisher, and one with sufficient torque (cheapo models, such as by Black & Decker, etc, are safe due to the RO/DA mechanism but lack the torque necessary to help you do any real polishing, aka paint correction). If you stick with the professional brands like Porter Cable and Dewalt, you'll be making a very worthwhile purchase. Most people prefer the PC.

Let me know if you need help comparing/contrasting various brands and models of polishers.

-Heather

5. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info everybody. I'll go with the RO as all I want to do is apply wax and polish it. Have used an RO for years for wood finishing and am familiar with how they work. Can turn a piece of oak into a mirror with 800 paper. No, I won't use same tool on Beezebub!

6. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Just out of curiosity, what do you use in wood finishing? I've often wondered if a different pad setup on my PC could be used to refinish some beat up furniture I have around.

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I have been finishing wood for over 35 years, and auto detailing the last 5 years. I would never use a sander/polisher used on wood to work on auto paint. It has nothing to do with the "action" of the machine, but the fact that dust, resins, could get on you car paint, and cause some major damage, no matter how much you clean the machine. This damage can be easily avoided by spending 50 bucks on a machine to do your home furniture products.

Mark

8. kensan

kensan New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ive been using the Griot's RO thinking that it was the same thing as the "dual-action" polisher...random vibrations and full rotation so it's dual action.

i thought the biggest difference between machines was whether it was a RO or DirectDrive. direct drives being no clutch, no slippage, when the motor turns so does the pad. easily burn through paint using the right polishes and pads. :D

9. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Thanks much. BTW, I ordered your super mag. drain plug this AM. :Thumbsup:

10. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT

I only use the old fashioned oil finishing technique (Danish Finishing Oil). Start with 100 grit dry paper then get fairly wet to stand up the wood fibers. When dry, sand with 100 paper again, then with 220. Wipe with damp, white cloth till cloth comes up clean, then let dry. Oil stain by hand at this point. Next is 400 wet/dry paper with neutral (clear) oil, not water. Wipe clean and repeat with 800 grit. Wipe with neutral oil rag every day for a week, then once a week for a month. It's a lot of work, but the result is like glass. Just think, the old timers did this by hand with a block sander!
    Two Drawbacks: The finish is NOT heat proof (use coasters) and the oil sanding wrecks the sander pad. Here ends the lesson. Good Luck! :crazy:

11. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Although Heather is correct here, I think the dual action refers to Rotation and Orbiting. The polisher doesn't have any means of "vibrating", though it feels that way due to the orbiting action.

The main action is the pad orbits around the center point. The backing plate freewheels on this center point, and as a result of the orbit, allows the pad to rotate on axis. But the rotation isn't directly driven like on a direct drive rotary buffer sometimes referred to as a "wheel" or "high speed buffer". That's what makes the Dual Action RO safe.

The forced rotation is what causes the paint to burn, and the DARO rotating action will slow down as you apply pressure whereas a direct drive won't making it less forgiving.

Just adding a bit more detail to an otherwise excellent post. :D

Richard

12. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I thought that the newer Meguiars G110 DA polisher was different than the rebranded PC? Am I off base or is it a different polisher? Just curious, thanks!

13. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    There are a number of PC's on the market.

Griots sells a rebranded polisher similar but different from the PC.
    The traditional Porter Cable 7424 polisher.
    The UDM (Ultimate Detailing Machine) in it's first incarnation which looks much like the Meguiar's G110 had more power than a 7424 but had an inherent unsolvable counterbalance issue. That UDM was replaced by the "new" UDM which was just a 7424. Yes I know it's confusing.

The Meguiar's G110 replaced the G100 which was a rebranded 7424.

Currently, the 7424XP from Porter Cable is being sold by a bunch of different vendors including myself and that's different from all of the them. It uses many of the same components of the 7424 but with a bit more power, a larger switch, and repositions the variable speed from the end of the unit to the top, and to me is the best polisher among the choices available, but not so much better that I would dump a 7424 that I own for it. If I didn't have a polisher yet, I'd get the 7424XP. It feels better, but it works about the same.

Richard