2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Carbon-build-up? HPFP? Or both?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Lilliput, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Lilliput

Lilliput New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Bergen County, NJ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #1 Lilliput, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
    Hi all, I am a noob so please be patient! :wink: Brought my 2007 MCS (manual) in for service two weeks ago due to cold start issues - coughing, stalling, etc., the usual symptoms. I told the dealership that I suspected a failing HPFP and/or carbon fouling, and asked them to please check for both. They informed me that it was due to a bad bypass blow-off valve (I have no idea what that even is). I paid for the fix, drove her home, and lo and behold next morning she wouldn't start at all. Towed back to dealer. Asked them AGAIN to check the pump and also for carbon build-up. FINALLY replaced the pump under BMW's extended warranty, but they refused to check for carbon. Said it would not be worth their time(!). Ugh...:crazy: When I contacted the Sales Manager he basically called me a liar, saying that I had never asked the SA to do those things.

My question is this: what do I do if the car starts showing symptoms of the dreaded build-up down the road? She seems to work ok now, but I don't want to go back to this dealership because they were so disrespectful to me and frankly, I don't believe a word they tell me anymore. Does anyone know if MINI USA has offered to cover the cost of cleaning the head (I know it's a lengthy and pricy operation), because it seems to be a design issue?

p.s. I use top-tier gas - hi-octane, not less than 8% or more than 10% ethanol, with adequate detergency. Also I drive approx. 60 miles a day, some of those on speedy highways.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Lilliput

2. Lilliput

Lilliput New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Bergen County, NJ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    She has about 59K miles and change on her, so she's out from under warranty

3. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I would suggest starting by reading this post. This is the downside of direct injection engines which are becoming more and more prevalent. I consider it part of my regular maintenance.

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/cooper-clubman-engine-drivetrain/2002-how-seafoam-treatment-r55-r56.html

Observation after owning a R56 for 3+ years is that this carbon build up, at least on mine, disapates the more I use the car. After a seafoam treatment before and doing a Blue Ridge Parkway roadtrip it cleared it all out and running like a champ. For my car I notice the build up if I am just bopping around town stopping and starting without running the car for any length of time.

4. Lilliput

Lilliput New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Bergen County, NJ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks very much for that. I've been doing as much reading online (here and other forums) as I can to try and educate myself. It was my understanding that Seafoam, Techron and the like won't help because the fuel never touches that part of the valves - is that true? Or perhaps the Seafoam is more of a preventative measure? I haven't yet done anything like that for my car, so perhaps the ground walnut shell cleaning is the best option??

Thanks again fo replying!

5. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Not sure what you mean by ground walnut cleaning

I think you are mixing treatments. Techron is good for cleaning fuel injectors and you can use Seafoam for that as well. Please review the video on the thread I shared above, it is also on other forums, as it outlines how to introduce the Seafoam directly into the engine manifold which will address the carbon build up.

Oil Catch Cans or OCC's are also being widely used

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #6 Nathan, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
    Think sand blasting but instead of sand the media is ground walnut shell. Walnut shell grit is extremely durable, angular and multi-faceted, yet is considered a 'soft abrasive'.

BMW has a special tool just for this.

Click Me to see the PDF on the tool and how to use.

7. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Tim's link doesn't work for the video, here's one that does
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyi82J66t28]‪Seafoam Part #1‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
    I agree with the Seafoam, we use it on all 3 MINIs and see the biggest difference in the R56. You pour it into the PVC intake hose in the engine compartment. It's not as scary as it seems. My mechanic also recommends 44K in the fuel. It's really whichever you're more comfortable with. The 44K doesn't kill all the mosquitoes within a 15 mile radius though :)

8. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that must be the uber expensive method I have heard alluded too. Good reminder to keep up with the regular maintenance!!

9. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Rae!

I've shared it before but I still get a smile on my face when I think of my neighbor stopping by during a seafoam treatment and asking if my garage was on fire! :eek6:

10. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    That is one of the best stories ever!!!!

11. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Just curious Lilliput, which dealer in Jersey?

12. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    If I only had a video camera of his facial expression! priceless!! :lol:

13. Lilliput

Lilliput New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Bergen County, NJ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Mr. Jim. Let's just say it's the only one in Bergen County. It's unfortunate because up until now I consdiered myself a loyal customer of theirs. The service manager actually yelled and hung up when questioned why they hadn't simply done what I had asked. I was pretty shocked. :confused5:

14. Lilliput

Lilliput New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Bergen County, NJ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks so much for this. I do plan on performing this treatment myself. I just need to get up the gumption and guts to do it. Again, I am still in the learning/noob phase and don't want to do anything to screw up the engine! I'll keep everyone posted as to the outcome.:Thumbsup:

15. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Sorry for you poor dealer experience. I might suggest you write a short blurb about your experience. There is a section in the forum where you can rate the dealer experience.
    It'll serve two purposes, steer other MINI owners away and eliminate cash flow from our pockets to theirs.

16. Lilliput

Lilliput New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Bergen County, NJ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, Rae! I am definitely going to do this!

17. Lilliput

Lilliput New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Bergen County, NJ
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Metalman. I did not realise there was such a forum. I will certainly do a quick write-up about what happened, as I'm still reeling from the experience. :frown2:

18. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    My understanding of Seafoam treatment is that it doesn't work when the carbon build up is already established, but works well as preventative maintenance to help carbon build up from occurring.

It doesn't look like it would be difficult to make a walnut shell blaster for use at home. All it would take would be an air compressor, a hopper type sand blaster, filled with walnut shell media, and a shop vacuum.

Hey! Those are things I already have! I think I could fabricate the vacuum hose to cylinder head adapter out of plastic plumbing fittings.

Dave

19. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Seafoam in the intake used early will slow the build up of carbon deposits, but will not remove all deposits. The smoke most consider a sign the product is working, is only the product plus oil flushed from the vent hose/throttle body/intake manifold burning, not carbon deposits. Note in the link to the media blasting treatment, some deposits required additional blasting, solvents are not near as aggressive.

20. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    That would be Prestige, that's odd because I've always heard good things about them. I've always taken mine to Morristown when it was in warranty. Now that's it out, I do all the work myself.