Most liked posts in thread: Cash for Clunkers/Guzzlers

1. Jabbles

Jabbles New Member

May 4, 2009
    HVAC service
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    This is something that people never seem to think of when upgrading to a greener product. I work in HVAC and while new furnaces use less gas they also require more service calls, at 85$ an hour it can take a long time to break even.

2. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I caught all sorts of **** for buying a 2001 Cherokee....14mpg and all. I needed something to haul the little one around and didn't see the point in buying a new four door (the MINI was not working out) just for this purpose. Sold it for what I paid so net cost = nada and I buying used made more sense than new.

In the end, I sold the Jeep and the MINI and bought an STI. Comparing fuel economy, I sure didn't gain much (22mpg on premium vs. 16mpg on regular) but that wasn't the point in the purchase. I went from two cars to one and got the utility and fun in one.

3. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Honestly I love Jeeps, wouldn't mind owning one myself as a second vehicle. If you can only afford one vehicle you need to get something that fullfills all your needs and an AWD sedan seems to do that for you. When you had two vehicles though you were able to use the MINI for fun and economy and still had the Jeep for when you needed that. I don't know how often you used the Jeep day-to-day but if it was mostly for only the times the entire family had to go somewhere then it wasn't having a bad impact on the environment. Having a 16mpg vehicle sitting in the driveway allowed you to use a 25mpg vehicle most of the time. Bills like this would encourage people to do similar things to what you'd done, trade in the SUV on a more fuel efficient vehicle but wind up selling the commuter that gets even better fuel economy to pay for it.

4. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    for us, we had three cars. The MINI, the Jeep, and my wife's FX35. My wife works from home...easy commute there. I work close by....14 miles/day roundtrip. The main thing was logistics....load up the baby in the Jeep, drop her off, then backtrack to switch cars so I could take the MINI to work. That was before the wife switched jobs. Now, she takes the little one to daycare so I'd have to come home first, get the Jeep and get to daycare.

Bottom line was that the MINI was just sitting....parked in teh garage most days. I would have loved to keep it (it was paid for) but we're not at a point where a Sunday car is financially feasible. Some day.

5. AllBlack05S

AllBlack05S New Member

May 18, 2009
    Selling Harley parts worldwide
    Bartlett, Il
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    still paying for:
    Mini
    Mini
    Vespa
    Own Outright:
    Golf Diesel
    thinking of buying:
    Harley Super Glide Sport just because

May have to get rid of the Golf and Vespa to swing it but I hope not.

I am opposed to any subsidy. If the Government has to subsidize a program to make it viable, the program is a failure and should be done away with.