2nd Gen R56 R58 Catless down pipe

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by MCS02, Dec 25, 2019.

1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Ok I got one for the Helmet. I am considering wrapping it to cut down on heat then add a turbo blanket.

Anyone have any thoughts on wrapping the down pipe? Pros and cons?

2. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    I'm in process of adding a new DP, exhaust manifold, and turbo. Already had the manifold ceramic coated, and trying to make up my mind about how to treat the DP. Leaning towards ceramic coating it also, but not yet convinced. Wrapping a tubular manifold would be extremely difficult compared to wrapping a DP, that's why I chose coating it. Still considering a turbo blanket. Looking forward to the discussion on this thread.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Ceramic coating would be the best. I know in the motorcycle world it is hotly debated if you should wrap pipes. It seems to me it depends on how much water they are exposed to. If the wrap will be wet a lot and sit that way then they will rust. This car lives in the garage so it won't sit parked in the rain very often. Maybe instead of being in a hurry I will look into having it coated, that would be the best of the two options.
    I am getting a blanket for it and my wife's R57. I cant remember who here works on big turbo engine and they use them he also has had one on his car with no bad effects. The benefits just seem too good not to do it. More efficient turbo and less under hood temps.

The only problem with me ceramic coating the down pipe is I wanted to put it on today! It's nice and warm here today.

4. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Well put it on, drive it and take daily temps for a month, keep your old stuff, in a month take it off and get it coated if the temps are too high.

Lots of labor, but could be a good sceince project, better you and not me! ;)

Don

5. MIKEHKS

MIKEHKS New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    i know this is a bit of topic , but sense you guys are removing the stock downpipe
    if anyone wants to sell there stock turbo downpipe
    let me know i need one
    thank you

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'd recommend calling Detroit Tuned or Helix to see if they have a used one laying around that they'd sell you.