1st Gen R53 Cooper S CEL P2096 Code

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by mini_racer, Mar 8, 2011.

Tags:
  1. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    I actually did one first.....

Honestly think a periodic smoke test is not a bad thing to do on our little cars, they have saved me a lot of time, trouble and expense in the past... 2 cents

PS: Nathan......that doesn't clear the hard codes just the gauges I think....

2. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    That sounds just crazy enough to try Nathan, thanks! :crazy:
    I'm in, thanks for that I will give it a go later today!

And ok I will go check out those 2 options you mentioned, I wonder if the Access Port thingie for the 2nd gen guys will reset adaptations for them? Not that it matters for us 1st gen guys anyway.

3. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I have not done one before, and everything is so compact on a First gen intake that it is impossible to see/know unless you do something like this.

And oh well on the crazy sequence clearing only the gauges and not the hard codes, I had planned the local shop anyway.

It would be convenient to have the capability myself though, I will investigate.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Yes and no...

While I do not think there is a direct Clear Adaptations command in the AccessPort like the Bytetronik software has when you flash a new "tune" it clears all the adaptations when the new tune is written. Since it can hold multiple tunes you could flash a new one and then flash it back to the current to clear everything.

BTW Terry, Cobb in Austin is/was working with the 2nd gen MINI as well as BMW's. They probably have a tool to clear everything as well. CobbTuning.com - COBB Tuning Austin

5. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    The Bavtech or whatever it's called that Dr O sells at FES is I believe the least expensive but it limits you to like 3 VIN numbers then they have the pro version that is much more expensive with no limits. The Autoenginuity with the BMW extension is not limited as well and price wise its between the above two.... Either way one of them is on my "To Buy List"... I do like the idea of having an unlimited VIN version so I can help out some of the other club members as Blimey did for me....and I already have another BMW too....;)

6. mike@MynesTuned

mike@MynesTuned New Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Nathan, the Code and Adaptation Clearing feature on the Bytetronik Tool can be used on any R50/R52/R53. Only the flashing and logging features are associated with the Vehicle VIN, the other features are OPEN provided one has the Bytetronik MINIPort and the FA53 SW. So at the club MINI days, you can help out fellow MINI owners :beer

7. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    That is good to know, thanks Mike.

Well, my local shop has the Autologic and it properly cleared the code and reset adaptations. It is state inspection time for me and it seems I will need to give it a few days such it does not appear that the Readiness Monitors have been reset, according to the tech. I'll go back on Monday to ensure I am ready for an inspection, too bad this shop does not do them.

So, I hope I am healed, if it comes back though, it will be time to start smoking.

The shop had no clue on P2096, as that is a generic code and they only talk BMW proprietary codes. Nonetheless, the BMW code read was recognized as a common culprit given the symptoms described.

Also, not sure if it is the placebo effect or reality, but I would bet $$ that my car idles better now. Regardless......I'll take it.

8. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    I would like to thank Nitromini for his kind PM informing me that an internet lie is being told about my P code problem and that it came while using my RMW header. In fact; if you are being told that, it is simply a lie and you might want to reconsider your relationship with the individual or individuals that told you that....

The facts are:

I had a P code while still running my OEM header and cat, others here can attest to that fact. In fact the addition of my REVOLUTION HEADER FIXED THE LEAK. Then after the adaptations were cleared the code has not return and my RMW header is performing wonderfully and completely problem free.

So to repeat: My p code came while using the OEM Mini header and the RMW header has had no codes and has performed and still is performing flawlessly.

Anyone that tells you different is simply and in fact a liar.

9. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I think I can corroborate this story at least circumstantially from what I have experienced on my idle improvement.

10. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    FYI, the Readiness test is something that the ecu needs to build up on its own thru a number of drive-cycles and actual driven miles (think of it like a personal credit history - you can't just have a tool to give you a personal history on the spot, unless you do some ultra deep cover gov't stuff...LOL). While clearing the adaptations clears all the records, in order for the Readiness test to be 'ready', you need to drive the car and put some miles on it.

11. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    That helps, thanks.........

12. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    np. Anytime :) Glad you found the problem and gotten rid of the code :Thumbsup:

13. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    #33 Eric@Helix, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
    Sorry, I went away and didn't check in to answer your questions. Looks like you've gotten some good info, and then some. Typically with a P2096, you'll get one start before the CEL re-appears after clearing the code. The BT tool that has been mentioned above (and also available at Helix) is a fantastic tool--almost as good as the factory MINI tool. It wont do some of the things that the Mynes tool will do, like tune for power, but for diagnostics and adaptive value resets, datalogging, it's excellent. We use it almost every day.

14. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    BTW, my car successfully passed the state inspection, meaning all codes are still gone and the readiness monitors 'look normal' I am guessing would be the proper term.

I am not confident the OEM gasket will not leak long term as there is a very small gap on one side between the flanges, but it is obviously holding fine for the moment. Stupid 2 bolt flanges.

15. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Don't blame the two bolt configuration, mating a larger diameter to a smaller diameter produces overlap.

16. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, you should probably just weld everything together to prevent this leak in the future. :devil:

17. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Very funny............NOT :frown2:

18. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I Have had to code for a week or two. I had it two months ago and I cleared it. but it came back after autocrossing. This evening I had the car on a lift and found a crack in my JCW exhaust system where the mounting bracket just after the resonator. Does anyone thing that this leak could cause the code?

19. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Very unlikely as a leak in that location is too far downstream. Keep looking for that leak, it does not have to be very big, a small leak is enough.

Likely only an inch or two down stream of the the 2nd O2 sensor and of course all the way up stream. So, this includes header, intake, injectors, horns, IC boots, IC, SC, TB, BPV, and vacuum hoses, and intake tube to SC.

Take it to a shop with the proper equipment and let them clear the code and reset adaptations for you, many shops will do this for free. You may get lucky and it was a one time occurrence, if it comes back then you need to find the leak.

Good Luck

20. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    thank you - I did not think it woul cause the problem, but thought I would ask. I am going to do some work on the car this weekend. If I can't find the problem I am going to get it smoke tested. I cleared the code once before and it came back a in a month. I cleard it this time and it came back after several starts.