Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Most liked posts in thread: CEL questions for the smart guys -- Ryefile, Dr O?

1. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    It fixed itself?

2. paulsminis

paulsminis New Member

May 5, 2009
    Contractor to the Government
    Dayton, Ohio area
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but how did that happen? Is this the new Christine?

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'll toss a theory out there....

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold

Running around town the car is rich and fouling the cat. A day at the track cleared it out.

4. paulsminis

paulsminis New Member

May 5, 2009
    Dayton, Ohio area
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That sounds plausible, Nathan. I should then expect to see the CEL after a few/couple of days of street driving, perhaps! Stay tuned!

Paul

5. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like

it's in your part throttle tune, or "tip in" compensation, if the Mini has something like that. On the track, you're at much higher load.

Matt

6. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #7 Nitrominis, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009

7. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Comment, or a snide remark?

8. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #9 Nitrominis, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009

9. paulsminis

paulsminis New Member

May 5, 2009
    Dayton, Ohio area
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OK, I named two people (one of whom I have met and talked with) that I really respect and whose postings seem to make good sense to me, and are a heck of lot smarter than I am in hope that they might take a look and offer an opinion. I had no intent to limit input from anyone, nor to imply that there are no other smart folks out there. The description of "smarter than I am" could probably include most folks out there. If anyone took offense, I am sorry.

In case that isn't clear, anyone is free to comment and help. I appreciate any cogent inputs.

Dr O -- I appreciate you taking time to answer and you brought up a point I hadn't thought of.

And, lastly, I have now driven to and from work for the fourth day in a row with no CELs, something that hasn't happened since the tune. Generally my approach on track is to give quick, but gradual throttle input, not mash it to the floor in the vicinity of the apex. And that might just be more indication that it is on tip-in

Paul

10. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    derrrrr did yew chek yer blinker flewid

11. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    +1 for this.

I also have an R56 with the Alta turbo back. I drove several thousand miles before my first CEL. After I got the first one they come pretty quick. I have also noticed that after driving on the track they don't come back as quickly, but they will come back.

If I had to guess, guessing now --> I think either the continued higher flow of the exhaust or the sustained increased temperature causes the first cat (the one causing the CEL) to run cleaner and not trip the code. Then after some more DDing the cat gets buildup again and causes the CEL.

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  13. paulsminis

paulsminis New Member

May 5, 2009
    Dayton, Ohio area
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely!

14. paulsminis

paulsminis New Member

May 5, 2009
    Dayton, Ohio area
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for this -- my guess is pretty much the same. Now at 5 days to and from work with no CEL.

And since you have the Alta Turbo-back and track and have noticed the same thing, I have another quirk I have noticed, and wonder if you have as well: I have a temperature gauge and the scan gauge which both seem to show that once warmed up the temperature is really constant at 220-227 degs F, but when I get the chance to look down after a 30 minute track run, both gauges are showing 190 degs F. That temperature comes back right up to 225 by the time I reach my parking spot in the paddock. If the car's thermostat keeps the car at 225, why wouldn't it keep it at that temp on track? If anything, I would almost expect it to read hotter after a track run, not cooler.

Paul

15. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I have noticed the temp as well. My car seems to run somewhere between 230-240. I have also noticed the fan does not come one until 230, at which point it drops the temp rather quickly, i.e. 236 back to 230. I explained the difference in track temps away to myself as the increase in airflow. Basically doing the same thing as the fan, just manually. I think between that and the increased water flow due to the high average revs you see on a track brings down the temp of the car.

Really the high revs and increased water flow is the only real difference between the track and driving on the highway. While I do see higher speeds on the track than I do on the highway, they are for such short periods of time I don't think it matters.

16. paulsminis

paulsminis New Member

May 5, 2009
    Dayton, Ohio area
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the great answers to all! I think we have covered it very well.

Thanks again,

Paul