2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Ceramic Coating Turbo and Manifold

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by cerenkov, Aug 9, 2015.

1. cerenkov

cerenkov New Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Nuclear Engineer
    Wake Forest, NC
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    My new turbo in coming in next week and was debating about getting it and the exhaust manifold and downpipe ceramic coated (Swaintech - White Lightning).

Is the cost benefit there?

Estimated costs from website are:

Exhaust manifold - $150
    Turbo housing - $100
    Downpipe (high flow catted) - $100

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    It will definitely keep that area of the bay cooler. Just a matter of what that's worth to you.

3. rckrzy1

rckrzy1 Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    can you run without the heat shields if you go this route ? Way said it will melt your valve cover without the shields.

4. cerenkov

cerenkov New Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Nuclear Engineer
    Wake Forest, NC
    Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I would still use the factory heat shields. And with meth installed my intake temps rarely go over 90F so I'm wondering if there are any power gains for example if it helps with scavenging.

I'm probably over thinking it and it's probably only beneficial to tracked cars and not 100% street cars but if there is a noticeable gain then I would rather do it now.

5. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Anything that keeps heat in the turbocharger will improve its efficiency.

6. Ryephile

Ryephile New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Yes!
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    I have my turbo Miata's exhaust manifold, turbine housing, and downpipe all coated with Swaintech White Lightning. I just finished doing its first track weekend and the coating is still aesthetically flawless, only slightly silvered instead of pure white. My EGT's at full load are a moderate 1200°F, but the outside of the manifold measured about 750°F, so that's a big difference. I also have a heat shield as the turbine is near the brake reservoir, it's stainless and gold foil coated facing the turbine. The far side of the heat shield after a session was only 170°F, keeping my brake fluid from getting too warm.

So, White Lightning, yes do it! Also, factory heat shields, use them too!

If you send them the turbine housing, make sure you take pictures of the turbo clocking before taking it apart.