Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Ceramic Pads

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by JeffreyC, May 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

May 4, 2009
    Fontana, CA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm tired of the brake dust messing up my *clean* wheels.

Which ceramic pads are you using and are their any pitfalls you've discovered along the way?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I'm using Centric Posi-Quiet semi-mettalic on my Brembo's and they dust about 80% less than stock Brembo pads and the dust isn't as corrosive as the originals either. The dust from the Brembo pads was etching the stock wheels if not cleaned weekly (hard to do in winter).

95% of the performance of the uber-aggressive pads, none of the noise, none of the dust and cheap to boot.

3. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    $85/set F & R.

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I've used both the Hawk Ceramics and the CarboTech Bobcats. Both are very low dust. The Hawks were tougher on my rotors. I love the Bobcats, but they're a bit $$.

5. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

May 4, 2009
    Fontana, CA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the responses. I'll give the Centric Posi-Quiet pads a try.

6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

May 8, 2009
    Retired Pharmacist
    Burke, VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, I have good news. I installed a set of Carbo tech Bobcats last week on my Clubblie S. Wow...a dramatic, marked reduction in brake dust. I acutally do not dread cleaning my wheels now!

7. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I have Hawk ceramic pads on my JCW brakes. They are pretty good for the street with very low dust. Not so great for the track, but still they have seen some track time

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'm on my second set of Hawk ceramics. For me they work well, they do not have the initial bite of OEM pads, but I got used to that fairly quick. For me they take the heat & abuse better than the OEM pads. The brake dust they generate is a lighter color than the OEM pads & much less of it too. I agree with Blimey they do eat the rotors a bit. Next time I replace pads I plan to use Bobcats, I've heard lots of good comments about them.