1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Changing tail lights

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Tigger, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Tigger

Tigger New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I bought some new tail lights for my '06 Cabrio. We made one attempt to change them and couldn't figure out how to remove the panels to get at the lights.

I noticed it was really easy on my friends hard top, not so easy on the Cabrio

Has anyone done this? If so, would you be able to provide me with some instruction?

thanks

Ali

2. Mishka

Mishka Badge Whore

May 4, 2009
    Locomotive Engineer
    Southeast Missouri
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Check your PM's. :Thumbsup:

3. Tigger

Tigger New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I got it

Ali

4. TPLS BLR

TPLS BLR Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Finance
    San Pedro
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Please PM me too :D, I had to pay a ridiculous amount to get my bad taillight replaced:frown5:

5. Tigger

Tigger New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I'm hoping we can do it on Sunday. If we do, I'll take pictures and try to write out the process

Ali

6. Mishka

Mishka Badge Whore

May 4, 2009
    Locomotive Engineer
    Southeast Missouri
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I forgot to send the instructions TPLS BLR.

Unlatch the back of the top and lift it up. There is a small (4"x3") cover on the inside rear of the car on each side. Remove it and you can reach inside to the back of the light assembly. It is held in by a 10mm nut and two tabs. Remove the nut - don't drop it - and release the tabs and push the light out the back of the car.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

7. TPLS BLR

TPLS BLR Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Finance
    San Pedro
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
  8. Mishka

Mishka Badge Whore

May 4, 2009
    Locomotive Engineer
    Southeast Missouri
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Any update on the new tail lights, Ali?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

9. Tigger

Tigger New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I've been procrastinating and busy. I also want a friend of mine to help me and he went on vacation. Hoping we can do it soon before the weather is too cold to handle the tools.

I wish I did have it done

Ali

10. smurfette26

smurfette26 Club Coordinator

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    We did my tail lights this summer, upgraded to leds. I guess I should say that Tom did them as there is really only room for one person to get into the Cabrio to do it. I think it took hime about an hour and a half because he was doing it mainly by feel. Cant wait to see Tigger with his new lights, hopefully you will get a warm spell!

11. Mishka

Mishka Badge Whore

May 4, 2009
    Locomotive Engineer
    Southeast Missouri
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    smurfette26, which tail lights did you get? I'm looking at my next mod and that's on the list of possibilities.

12. Tigger

Tigger New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I finally got my butt to the Do It Yourself garage (needed heat) and decided to switch out the tail lights. I got the passenger light out, it was tricky and the space is tight, but it wasn't that bad. The new lights did not have the bulb assembly, I tried to use the bulb assembly on the current lights and they don't match up. The new lights seem to need a straight line of 3 bulbs, my current tail lights are not in a straight line. I know when I bought them it said that they would fit an '06, and I can see they would fit the spot just fine.

I don't know if they were really designed for the '05 or what. Not sure if I can just buy the proper bulb assembly or if I need to find a whole new set of tail lights. Anyone know?

Ali

13. Tigger

Tigger New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    I just wanted to share most of what I have learned with the tail lights. In 2005 MINI did a refresh and changed the design of the tail lights. From 2002 - 2004 the lights were set up in a straight line, I still don't understand this totally, but the back up lights weren't part of it.
    In 2005 they changed the tail light design (even though the exterior dimensions stayed the same). The new tail lights include the back up lights and the bottom light is off set.

So what I found out was that if I order an older assembly to make these tail lights work in my '06 that I won't have back up lights. I'm thinking that's not a good idea. So if you're looking to change your tail lights and you see lights that say they fit from an 02 - 06, don't believe them. They will fit in the hole but they won't work.

Now, I have a set of tail lights that really won't work for my car. I think I'll take them to the dragon and see if anyone with an 02 - 04 MINI wants to buy them off of me.

Ali

14. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Sorry about your problems. It's still possible to make the lights work, although some extra expense and steps would be required. You'll need '02-'04 style bulb holder panels, and a '02-'04 backup light that fits in the center of the bumper. According to realoem.com, the total would run about $90 for new parts (or search for used parts in salvage yards and eBay). Your '06 is already pre-wired for the center bumper location (meant for the rear fog), and with a short wire jumper you can convert it to operate as a backup light.

15. Tigger

Tigger New Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Hmmmm my friend was wondering if I could do something like that. I do like the look of the lights. I appreciate the suggestion.

Ali

16. smurfette26

smurfette26 Club Coordinator

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thread Revival!

Sorry it took so long and I am sure you have it sorted out by now but I got the clear leds from MINI Mania. They became NLA shortly after I ordered them, I think they were being clearanced out when I bought them but that was a few years ago so I could be remembering incorrectly. Still love them though!