Check check and double check!!!!

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by MCS02, Feb 15, 2018.

1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    #1 MCS02, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    I thought I would tell everyone a story that happened today. I am just a poor boy
    Though my story's seldom told
    I have squandered my resistance
    For a pocket full of mumbles, such are promises........oh wait that’s not it.....

So back to what happened. So here in Gods country, the south, it is a nice 70deg, a great day to do the final adjustment on my Indian and take her for her first ride. I got every thing done my wife came out side and I kicked it off. It started on the third or forth kick and ran great. I reached down to turn the chock off ( you old farts know what that is) but instead gave it full chock. It died. No biggie. So I kicked and kicked and kicked. It would not start. I put more gas in the tank, no dice. I wore myself out kicking. What could be wrong. I just went through and checked the timing and set the float in the carb and adjusted every thing perfect.

But it won’t start.

Finally I could hear my stepdad saying gas and spark make sure you have both. So back to basics. I got out the spark plug socket to take the plug out and check for spark. But first I decided to check to make sure the points were ok(points you old farts know what they are) well when I took the distributor cap off this is what I found

5E0A0701-5A0B-49EB-B748-FFFD3773FA3D.jpeg

You see that’s? That’s what’s left of my rotor!! Brand new. I put it in yesterday. I didn’t start the bike till today when I killed it after a few seconds. Who would have thought a brand new rotor botton would come apart the same time I chocked the motor out? No one!

So here is what I am getting at. When you do maintenance on your car never ever assume anything! If it doesn’t start check your work. If it still doesn’t start check your work agin, and those new parts you put in check them too.
    I can’t tell you how many times I have had new parts be bad or I forgot some small hose or plug or connected something wrong. If you have been at it a while take a break, walk away. And never try to troubleshoot tired or hungry.

This is just one old farts advice. It’s worth what you payed. I hope this helps some struggling soul out there.

Yes I got the bike running and took it for it’s first ride! Then after lunch I went for another ride! I got to several blocks away and ran out of gas! Dam I’m not a very smart old fart! Pushing 600lb bike home is a workout.

Here she is in all her glory...........out of gas
    3447B8BC-0806-4FBF-9621-B1EC5D2096F6.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  2. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    I feel for you but my two year old Scout starts right up when I hit that damn button! Rode yesterday and today for around a total of 150 miles. It was great for Feb.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    A button is very nice! But she starts on the third kick now. You just have to watch out it kicks back some times

4. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Lol - love the story and advice... great looking Indian!

5. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Real bikes have kick starters, real men use them!