Check out this locked thread.....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ScottinBend, Jan 15, 2010.

1. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    .....and now the thread is back again after gray raven's latest attempt at locking the thread and all of his and motor ons posts have been deleted.....LOL

What a soap opera....

2. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Mark

3. MINI Fireman

MINI Fireman New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    To be fair, the issue was resolved and the thread reopened (with assistance from Rally). :Thumbsup:

4. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I'd be careful insulting that group, there's a lot of card carrying members of that particular organization who are also members here....

5. MrCooperS

MrCooperS New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    +1 :Thumbsup:

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    But it never should have even been on the radar to begin with......:eek:ut:

gray raven really needs his wings clipped, went way overboard on that thread. But then again there are several mods over there that shouldn't be mods....:D

7. Chase

Chase New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This is also not so true. You can look at almost all professional drift teams out there and see that they run stretch on their cars.

Also if you have a look at the Cyber evo, which is one of the fastest time attack cars in Japan, they run stretch.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Can't seem to find any images or proof of such.....all pics I can find show nominal installs.

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Lot of rim showing on those wheels indicative of stretch.

10. Chase

Chase New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    thanks Nathan

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Still not convinced.........lol

But besides we were discussing the extremes that were posted in the other thread and those combos would not be safe on the track.

12. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    The ones posted in the thread are just barely out of normal spec with 205's on 8's. extreme combos are 195's on 9's and such being run by some of the crazy euro owners. Drifters run much more extreme stretch than any of the MINI's in that thread. Chase is right.

Again, the bead isn't any more likely to unseat than when autocrossers or track cars run slightly wider tires than suggested for the wheel (happens all the time). Stretch gives the added benefit of a stiffer, less flexible sidewall which is why the cyber evo was running it. Drifters run it because a stiffer sidewall will break traction more predictably.

Stretch on drift cars (extreme amount of force applied to the tires obviously)

[​IMG]

The cyber Evo with the stretch chase was discussing. I believe this car holds some pretty impressive top lap times at various tracks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Chase

Chase New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    haha if you cant see the major stretch in those pics, then i dont know how else to convince

14. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Thanks for the info !

Guess I'm not to old to learn something new...........lol

I wasn't so much concerned about the tire coming off the rim during racing, just that it would seem to put a lot of extra load on the sidewall. It seems that you would be stretching the carcass in a direction it wasn't designed for.

I would argue that the tires on a drift car aren't really being put under the same kinds of stress as a race car, mainly cause the drifters are spinning the tires which by definition is a loss of traction thus less stress on the sidewalls. I think.....:idea:

15. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    There would be less lateral stresses but increased heat and rotational forces so overall the tires are probably under more force.

16. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    After they start the drift there is probably very little force on the tire sidewall...but just prior to braking traction when they whip it into the corner, I'd have to imagine that they're putting that tire through a great deal of force. I'm no professional when it comes to drifting though...