Chris Economaki Passes on to report racing in Heaven

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Nathan, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    From Autoweek...

Whoever you are, wherever you are, take a moment to think of Chris Economaki. Make it your personal tribute, however brief, to this grand old man of auto racing journalists because he left us late Thursday, Sept. 27 at age 91, and he left a hole in the motorsports firmament that can never be filled.

Whether you have ever read National Speed Sport News before or are a longtime subscriber, whether you realize it or not, a portion of your outlook regarding automobile racing has been formed by his weekly column. It was required reading for any serious racing journalist in this country, and his opinions invariably had some influence on all of us. We knew that he knew. He may have been a pedestrian writer, but as a reporter, commentator and interpreter of events, he had no peer.

Read more: Long-time racing journalist Chris Economaki dies - Autoweek

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    RIP Chris, you were one of the best. God Bless!

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I was a long time subscriber to national Speed Sport News back when I used to follow the Sprint Cars and East Coast small dirt tracks that I used to visit often. Sure, it wasn't NY Times caliber writing but no one covered every corner of the racing world like Chris did. His insight and attention to giving a voice to every one will be missed.

4. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Never forget listening to him and Carrol Shelby rattling back and forth during the vintage races at VIR a few years back, most thought as I did that they both had been sipping the juice a good bit as they almost forgot they were on the loud speaker, telling jokes and laughing to the point that they hardly could be understood....Felt like I was privy to a private conversation between two legends. Still can hear Chris's unique voice being broadcast through the paddock that day!

He will be missed.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Rest in peace Chris.

You will be remembered & missed by all racing fans.

6. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Many, many Saturday afternoons watching ABC Wide World of Sports, Chris E. providing informed commentary, seemed like so often from pit row, "way back when".

So many contributions. Great loss.

RIP.

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I got to meet him a few years ago at Heartland Park, the first year the SCCA ran the runoffs there. Even got a pic, I'll see if I can find it......

8. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
  9. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    When I first got the opportunity to hang around racing in the early 60s, I discovered National Speed Sport News. I read it until the end. The new Speed Sport is good, but different. We will never bring back the times when we waited for the mail man to deliver our copy so we could decide where to race that weekend. Chris set the agenda. Chris made it interesting. Chris made us understand the human element. Chris made our hero’s.

10. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Truly a legend in Motorsports Broadcasting. There's not enough Halls of Fame for him to have been inducted. What a privalage to have been able to enjoy his love for racing throughout the years. Thanks Chris!