2nd Gen R56 Cooper S 'Clark, is your house on fire?'. 'No, Aunt Bethany'....

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by TGS91, Jan 30, 2011.

1. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Was noticing a little lowering of performance and lower MPG. Suggested to me that it was time to do a SeaFoam treatment again

Man was it time

I had Augie half in the garage with his rear facing out.

Just after I fired it up after the first of three treatments and huge billowing clouds of crap are gushing out of Augie's backside my neighbor rolls up and jumps out. "Is your garage on fire?!"........
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

2. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Haha! Love the title ;)

3. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    Funny story...at least you know your neighbors are willing to help! :beer

4. RllyDrvrIX

RllyDrvrIX New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Is that normal?

5. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Yep

Not being the most mechanically savvy I can't speak to the "why" of it. The short is that our cars produce allot of PCV gases which attach themselves to various parts of our cars as carbon buildup or outright sludge. This requires periodic maintenance to keep at bay (every 3-5K miles)

Much debate about installing oil catch cans has ensued as a means to alleviate as well

Do a search for 'Seafoam' on the sewing site for the methodology (don't think posted here). Seafoam is the product that is a solvent that helps break it down and turn to this nasty exhaust that my neighbor was so alarmed over.

As always feel free to ask questions here.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    3 - 5K miles huh? Looks like I'll need to do the treatment this Spring. You think this stuff really works?

Another thought.... After the initial treatment to a hot engine and after letting it sit for awhile (soak time), instead of alarming the neighbors, what about heading out for a run on the freeway to blow out the stuff. Or would that be dangerous to my fellow motorists?

7. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    So Tim, since you're applying it thru the PVC hose and not into the oil, do you need to do an oil change shortly after the Seafoam? Is the process:
    1. Warm up MINI
    2. Apply 1/4-1/3 bottle Seafoam
    3. Let Seafoam sit
    4. Warn neighbors neither garage nor MINI are on fire
    5. Startup MINI and rev engine

How long did you leave it to 'sit'?

8. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    -Warm MINI is fine
    -1/3 btl yes, watch video on sewing site, it shows using a plastic tube to feed from seafoam can in a more precise/measured fashion. Vacuum of engine will create suction. (one of the videos I saw showed pouring directly from can, I think that may cause problems)
    -I let it sit about 10 min
    -I started up MINI, it will rough going at first, then it will even out. I rev it a couple times and then take it around the block making sure I am doing high rev's on shifts. Do that until you don't notice as much smoke.
    Repeat 2 more times.

You could very well do this at a park or away from the general populace to cut down on 911 calls to the local FD :D

Quite likely you will throw a CEL, I cleared them afterward and none returned

And yes Chuck I think it works, the degradation of performance is slow as it's getting sludged up but once you clear it out you will notice a immediate improvement in performance

9. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Ric did not answer your other question- I don't believe feeding in through PVC hose into manifold plays any part with the oil system so no I do not necessarily follow up with a oil change

Right now I am 3K into my 5K oil change cycle and do not plan to alter

10. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I do oil every 4000 miles, which for me is annually since I only drive that much each year.

Good stuff :Thumbsup:

11. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    If you have a BSH Boost trap, how would the Seafoam be applied (Chuck perhaps you know). I'm going to be getting a BSH OCC and Boost Trap this spring

12. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I do not have a 'can' on mine so I apply to same spot as on video. I would speculate you would apply on the 'out' end of the can closest to the manifold

13. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm further investigation is warrented :idea:

14. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Tim, do the codes that are thrown, do they self clear (adaptation), after driving for awhile with several ignition start / stops? I don't have a tool to clear codes...... Yet.

15. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if in fact but I would imagine in time the sensors would calm down and clear for you, not certain

To take a little of Dr O's thunder if you have a car with a OBDII port it just makes sense to get a reader, great in this instance for clearing false positives, but also a great diagnostic tool should it be a real CEL

16. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Let me also quantify this that my MCS has coming on 70K miles. I understand this will not hurt you car at nay mileage but would seem to raise in importance the more miles u have on your ride

17. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I would be curious about the effects on the cat of running this much oil solvent thru it....

18. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I was under the assumption that it helps to clean the cats?

I know last time I did it it was a very very rough start and hesitant idle, as it was doing its thing. I think I revved it too soon, and got a CEL. I think it usually goes away after a little while but I just went to Advance Auto and had them clear it... Said it was a cylinder miss.

Ive got another bottle, but I am a little hesitant to run it through, though I probably should...

19. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    this is about my 4th or 5th time doing the procedure. I've noticed no issues

My cars response was much the same as Adam's (rough start, threw CEL, evened out)

As I said once cleared all is good and roaring like a tiger

20. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Yeah ive done it many times. I think I just got on it and caused the miss. Gotta watch it I guess. No biggie regardless