Cleaning brake buildup from wheels

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by don_zielke, Jul 22, 2011.

1. don_zielke

don_zielke New Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I forgot to ask around about this at the breakfast last weekend. I have some brake dust buildup on the wheels that refuses to come off. It hasn't pitted the surface yet but I'm afraid it eventually will if I can't get this stuff off the wheels. Did a few searches on the site but didn't find much that helped.

I need a decent cleaner. Current stuff I'm using is a Meguiars cleaner, basically the stuff that I use as the first step of cleaning a car before waxing (part of teh Meguiars 3-step process: cleaner, polish, and wax). Obviously it's not meant for wheels but thought I'd try it before I go buy something.

Would love some suggestions. I bought some Eagle One stuff that is supposed to help repel dust after washing the wheels, but that's not a cleaner.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I've heard folks say that Purple Power works well. I've also read here I believe that WD 40 does a good job.

3. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    If your talking the thick tar globs WD40 will do the trick. If your talking brake dust and lots of it, I use Wesley's Bleach White, brake dust runs from it. Beware though it is not meant for wheels but if you do one wheel at a time and spray it on and immediately wash it off with carwash and water I haven't experienced any damage to the wheels. I do wipe down the wheels with Hydro after using as it will remove any wax.... 2 cents.

4. OldBlue

OldBlue New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Die Shop Coordinator
    Cleveburb, OH
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I have used Bleche-White as well, with decent (but not fantastic) results. My wheels are a high polished forged aluminum though, not painted. One word of advice - make sure the wheels are cool to the touch before you spray any cleaner on them.

5. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
  6. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
  7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Simple Green works well. I'll post when not on my phone.

Mark

8. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I thought Hydro WAS wax?

Jim

9. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Exactly. After using the Wesley's you want to put some back on the wheels. ;)

10. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    And I thought he was a Super Hero ..... or was he a Super Villain....:D

11. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    OK, I get it now. I read your last line to mean that the HYDRO removed wax.

Don't scare me like that Mark. :lol:

Jim

12. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Wouldn't think of it Jim..lol

Actually like now, I'm going to take mine through the laser wash to get it ready for tommorrows Tar Heel rally. I'll spray the Wesley's on the wheels and tires right before I go through. Then come home and go over with Hydro, wheels and all, looks like I just spent hours detailing and I'll be done in no time! ;)

13. don_zielke

don_zielke New Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow great stuff! Thanks for the tips everyone.

One question - does "cool to the touch" mean ambient outside temp or do I need it to be below a certain temp?

14. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Cool to the touch means just that. Touch the surface with your fingertips, if it feels cooler than your body temp, that's cool to the touch. If it feels warmer it is not and you should let the surface cool.

15. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Kind of hard to do around here lately, it's been 110' in the garage these days:drool

Mark

16. don_zielke

don_zielke New Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, that's why I asked. :D

Didn't have much luck with the WD40. It did make a difference but didn't completely clean off the gunk. Hopefully a second soaking & cleaning will help.

17. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    #17 TGS91, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
    All great suggestions

Couple Thoughts

I think MiniMark or Ben mentioned Sonax. I reacall swapping notes with Phil of Detaliers Domain that it was intended for really nasty wheels that had been neglected for awhile.
    Might want to give that a try if the bleach or WD40 isn't touching it. I believe it chemically breaks down brake dust

My usual method is to soak with WD40 for a couple minutes and take one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers to it. Don't scrub real hard as the eraser has some abrassiveness to it.

I then hit it with a couple coats of wheel wax. Good insurance after all that work getting all the gunk off em'. Prima makes a pretty good one although lately I have been using
    Wheel Wax which I think is a little better

Make sure you get off all of the WD40 before waxing though. I'll wash with Dawn dishwashing soap and also hit with some cheap window cleaner to make sure I get off all the lubricant from the WD40.

18. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I've seen brake dust that has actually etched into the surface of a wheel. It is a sort of a balancing act, something strong enough to break the bond of that cursed dust yet gentle enough to no hurt the wheel.

I hate that stuff. I'm a real fan of ceramic brakes.

19. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Amen Brother

One of happiest days was doing brake job to get rid of the godawful OEM ones (still have the wifes 10' MCS to deal with but not two of em')

20. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I have dust from track brakes that bonded to the surface of the wheel, hard as concrete. Sonax is the only stuff that loosens it up, but it's a slow process and a lot of scrubbing. If you use track brakes, don't let that stuff get wet and harden for long before you clean it off. Eventually I'll have to have them refinished. Learned that lesson the hard way...