2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Clutch click when I depress it

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by ScoopthePoop, Jul 21, 2009.

1. ScoopthePoop

ScoopthePoop New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #1 ScoopthePoop, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
    I posted this same thread on my local mini groups website (Metroplexmini.org) but I wanted to get it out to a larger audience to see if this is happening to anyone else or if by some chance someone else has found a solution.

I am still waiting on a response from MiniUSA.

My question and callout to the group is at the end... but here are the details to go with the question...

So for about 4 weeks I have been dealing with the clutch pedal getting worse in a click that happens when I press it to the floor. I took it to MoD (Mini of Dallas) about 2 weeks ago without an appointment and the people there still took the time to look at it. We took it over to the repair shop and we looked at it for a few minutes and he said he knew what it was. He sprayed some lube on the cross pin that attaches the clutch master cylinder arm to the pedal, it made things slightly better and he said if it gets any worse to make an appointment and then he would be able to really take a long look at it and see if there is something wrong with it.

Well, it got worse. Before it only clicked at the end of the stroke, now it clicks twice (once on the way down, then again on the way up). So I made an appointment and yesterday I took it again to MoD and this time they took it back and really did some digging. As it turns out there isn't really anything that can be done to fix the problem. There are a few bandaids, but bandaids wear off over time and will need to be done again all while the problem could be getting worse. Before I took it to MoD I actually got up under there and tried to understand exactly what was making the clicking sound. Well, I found it. As it turns out the slot that the arm pockets into and the slot on the clutch pedal are not a tight fit, there is actually quite a bit of play in that slot. Moreover the cross pin that the arm is held with is a smaller diameter then the hole on the arm. These 2 things combined allow for the arm to float on the pin, the problem is there is a sharp edge on the arm that is getting caught on the cross pin and as you press the clutch it slips and with the pressure that the arm is under from the hydralics makes the arm snap from one side of the pocket to the other causing it to click.

Here is a link to a video I made of the clicking (you can actually hear it).

Link to video

Sorry about the low quality, but I was upside down in the footwell with a camera and a drop light. But you should get the idea.

Here are a few pictures of the area of concern. In the first pick you can see the gap between the arm and the pedal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, with MoD at this point not having a true solution to the issue I have decided to try to resolve the problem myself. While I was at MoD I was talking to the parts guru there and we started brainstorming some solutions and to this end she has taken it upon herself to get a few of these intermating parts so that we can look at them while they are not in the drivers footwell with about a 2 inch area to work in. After I left she continued to so some digging and discovered that removing that cross pin is a very involved process and might even include having to drain the clutch fluid. So we are pretty limited right now in our options, but we are going to try to solve it somehow.

So, my questions are does anyone else have this same problem?

Also, some people at MoD think that this might be limited to the JCW due to the different clutch, so does anyone have an S or Cooper that is doing this?

I plan to try to contact Mini directly and see if this is a widespread problem and see if there is the chance that they will look into solving this problem for us.

Well, after that long winded post, I am done.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Besides the noise can you feel the "pop" when you push in the clutch?

My car was doing something similar, but it's an 06 with an aftermarket clutch. When depressing the pedal near to bottom of the stroke you could feel it pop.

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I could almost swear my '06 JCW used to do that and it was fixed by the dealer. Almost. I would need to look through my thick stack of trouble tickets to verify. Certainly I can't recall what it was.

4. ScoopthePoop

ScoopthePoop New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, there is a noticable "pop" in the pedal when it does it that you can feel in your foot. The click is only loud enough some of the time.

With your aftermarket clutch, did you change out the clutch master cylinder?

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    No change in clutch master. Slave was replaced due to failure. Issue manifested itself ~10k miles after slave change and comes and goes. I think I'll ask Steve to take a gander at it on Sat at the DIY Day. We are planning on looking over the shift cables anyway.

6. ScoopthePoop

ScoopthePoop New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was debating showing up to the DIY day to find a solution to this problem. Maybe I will show up to see if anyone else has the same problem.

What time do you plan to be there?

Thanks

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    As I'm the one that puts these together I kinda need to be there from the get go. Shop opens at 8:30

8. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    Our 09 clubman S does that. Mostly when the wife drives it, not sure why. If I put my foot on the pedal and push inward on the pedal, it seems to decrease/go away. I can drive it all day and not hear it. Let the wife drive it around the block and it does it again. Kinda makes me wonder if it's user error. Tho lately, it's been getting worse. You just know it'll finally break after warranty. That's exactly why I made them notate it in my file at both dealers we frequent. I'll keep looking into it as well.

9. SK8BRD

SK8BRD New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    No problem in my Justa, but the helper spring is different in the R56 justa than the R56 S and R53. I got in a low mileage R57 tonight, and definetely could feel the issue. We need to ping btwdriver and YesIFit to see if they have it also, after sitting in the R57 I could see how lots of folk wouldn't notice this issue.

I don't think that it's a safety problem, but it could be annoying as hell to some.

Has anyone changed their R53/R56S overcenter spring to the R56 Cooper spring? Did that solve the problem?

10. ScoopthePoop

ScoopthePoop New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Update:

I have just gotten off the phone with MiniUSA. And the jist of the conversation was that the advisor was not a technical resource but that he would dig into this a little to see if we could get a regional service technician to look into the issue.

He was going to start by calling MoD and talk to their service manager about the problem to see what all was seen with this issue. If the confusion surrounding the issue as to if the car is supposed to do this continues then he was going to attempt to bring in the regional guy to MoD and coordinate with me to have my car there when he arrives to see if we can get some more people looking at the problem.

11. iian

iian New Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Program Manager (Tool Trade)
    S. Ontario
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I had the same "click". I had a look at the clutch arm, the plastic arm has a couple of gusset ribs coming out of the outer side of the arm. As the pedal is depressed, the ribs catch a small tube half way down. I took a small grinding wheel to the ribs, reduced their length by about 1/4". This cured the "clicking".

12. Little big car

Little big car New Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Chesapeake, VA
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I had the same clicking on mine and my dealer told me that most all of them are destined to eventually do this. They replaced the entire pedal on mine and that has fixed it for now.

13. Sarcux

Sarcux New Member

Jan 3, 2010
    GM at the Bone Creepers
    Macedonia, OH
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    My 2008 cooper s is doing this. It drives fine, though I am having the darnedest time shifting smoothly. Called the dealer, and they said neither my certified pre owned nor my aftermarket warranty will cover it, so I guess I'm SOL. Feels like it's more of an annoyance than anything.