2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Clutch Pedal Replacement, Need Help....

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Systemlord, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    #1 Systemlord, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    Hi everyone hope your weekend is going better than mine.

All day yesterday I installed my 2 bushings which I might add removed all sideways slop, my "Achilles Heel" is being able to get the clutch return spring into the pedal and main mount near the brake pedal assembly! I've tried small zip ties that just come flying off and snapping in half, the larger strong zip ties are too thick and prevent the two plastic pieces from sliding into the spring.

I'm assuming that there has got to be some kind of tool that can insert around the spring while I installed it at the same time. I've tried using Needle Nose Pliers that are angled to the right (click link) but only compress one side of the spring. I can get either side in but it's next to impossible to get the other end in since the spring is so darn strong.

I need suggestions badly as I've spent my entire weekend upside down in my MCS, it's all going to my head, the blood I'm mean! :frown2:

Please help, suggestions needed! :smile5:

Attached Files:

2. Joker

Joker New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Automotive Euro Tech. TIS
    Phoenix,Arizona
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Try buying those hose clamp tools at any auto supply, its like a pair of pliers but the tip is attached to a cable.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I'm not going to be much help,but maybe vice grips. I have used them to stretch springs before. Just clamp onto the end and pull. I just don't know if you have the room to use them.
    Good luck

4. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    #4 Systemlord, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    That only grabs one side of the spring while the other side is fully sprung out.

You're going to have to show me a picture, I don't have any idea what you're referring to.

My God there has to be way to do this!

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Maybe a break drum tool kit. It has a couple tools made to pull a spring out and hook it to a tab.

6. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    #6 Systemlord, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    I finally got the return spring on after a day and a half, boy it was worth it! Zero sideways play, it moves in and out like it were on rails. Me figuring out how to install the return spring was the only hard part, getting the clutch pedal out, installing the bushings and getting it back on is very simple for the DIY. It was by total accident figuring out how to get the return spring back on both steel shafts that hold each end.

First I slid the topside mount onto steel shaft, leaving the steel C-clip off for now so I could have a little extra play. I then move to install the bottom mount (on pedal itself) onto the pedal steel pin and shaft. Here's where things got interesting, when trying to push upward with great strength it popped right in. Right then I notice the top mount almost completely slid off the (slid to right or passenger side) upper steel shaft that holds onto the plastic mount.

So when it came time to get the steel pin all the way through the pedal part I did the opposite to get it completely through, I push the upper spring mount slanted to the (left on upper shaft) other direction. If it weren't for the top mount almost sliding off the upper shaft I never would have finished and would be then that I'd give up and take it into see a Mini mechanic!

You need to be one strong dude to compress the spring far enough to get it on! No joke, my arms, back and neck are terribly sore! Having to hold your neck upright while upside down (sideways) for hours at a time is not an easy task! I hope others find this thread help when they do their clutch pedal bushing because this is the best way I can write it up, I hope it's enough for the next guy to attempt replacing both clutch bushing. You'll need two of them.

Regards,
    Systemlord.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Glad you got that fixed, but all you really needed was the "special" BMW/MINI tool called a 3rd arm. :rolleyes::lol:

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    So you replaced #14/10 on the clutch pedal?

9. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I replaced 9,10 and 13. Part 7/14 are the same metal locking clip just used in more than one location. I had to go to the dealer to get 14 which is a metal locking clip, it goes on after you slide on the pedal with both bushings installed. I destroyed 13 trying to get it out.

10. Limey005

Limey005 New Member

Aug 17, 2022
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    #10 Limey005, Aug 17, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    I just did this today [8/17/22] on a 2008 R56...

I found it easier to remove the cover under the steering column to allow a slightly better view of the upper clutch spring opening.

3.jpg

I used a lamp to light everything from underneath the pedals.
    You can see in picture the broken spring still attached, I removed this, then removed the rubber grommet (learnt this after several attempts).

1.jpg

Slide the grommet over the spring, and then hook the spring through the hole. Being careful, swivel the spring upward to force the grommet into the original hole; once it pops in swivel the spring back down to hand vertically. Grab a pair of needle nose pliers and grab the bottom loop, pull down, and hook into the bottom opening on the pedal - it does not require a ton for force.

Once done, it should look like below.

2.jpg

You can look through a small opening by the steering column to see the spring is through the rubber grommet (See first picture above). Replace the steering column cover and you're all done.

Takes approximately 30mins.

Take for a test drive and enjoy the results.

11. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,021 / 6 / -5
    Very nice job and well documented too.

12. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,021 / 6 / -5
    And welcome to Motoring Alliance.

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Welcome tho MA! Thanks for the wright up!