Cobra and 130 MPH Willow Springs

Discussion in 'Motorsports Chat & Race Preparation' started by Metalman, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Musta been some kinda ride.... Sure sounded good...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQkqkOwuqac]Cobra Crash Willow Springs Raceway 130 MPH - YouTube[/ame]

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Till about the 6:08 mark, then it doesn't sound so good any more.

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Jim.... There all kinds of wild rides.....:D
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REqHToOkZMM]Mountain biker flattened by antelope on South African plain | Daily Buzz - Yahoo - YouTube[/ame]

5. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Watching that thrilled me and then left me 'bummed out.' Cobra(AH1) # 2 was also called a 'slide' due to the short stubby wings/weapons hard points as opposed to a Huey(originally HU1 subsequently UH1) 'slick'(sides). :Thumbsup:

Jason

6. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Let me see if I understand what you are saying Jason. Are you comparing a UH1 to and AH1 and saying a Slick is better?????????? I never heard the term "slide" before. "Snake" yes, but not slide and are you talking about a UH1-C or a UH1D or H????

Jim

7. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    #7 Johngo, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
    Wish I could "Like" that, but ouch... Hate losing a gorgeous car like that. Glad the driver was OK. Wonder what broke. :(

On a side note, you could measure the shifter throw in meters on that thing... Wow.

EDIT: Just read some more. It was a kit car on E36 running gear. Kudos to the builder... That thing kept him alive.

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Man he sure was lucky. Nothing but a rudimentary roll hoop, a low back seat & no arm restraints. He was lucky not to lose an arm. Holy crap was he lucky! :eek6: Me thinks a suspender broke.

I think I'd be asking the builder a few questions, but he strapped himself in there so it is all on him. Glad he is around to ask himself why.

9. Onramp

Onramp Enjoy the Hiways of Life!
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    As an instructor and safety committee member for our local PCA region, I sure don't need to think about this kind of stuff happening just before HPDE season. 14 years ago I was checkriding an instructor (I was CDI back then) and something didn't feel right after about 4 laps in his Ferrari F40. Then we felt a bump like we rolled over a baseball, and the car was gone. We had entered the front straight and the car let loose at about 140, and with all the spinning and sliding, we think we hit the wall at about 110 the first time (broke a barrier) and then hit again which stopped the car. I had broken out the passenger side window with the first hit, and when we cam to rest, a fuel hose was spraying burning fuel onto the wall, which was splashing into the car. You can bet it didn't take us long to get out, only I had to go thru the drivers door as my door was against the wall.

I still think about this stuff before every season. Still go play anyway.

Pat

10. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    Explanation:Slicks/Guns/Slides/Cobras/Snakes

:cornut:Sorry but, I often throw out info subconsciously forgetting that we all don't have the same life experiences.

1.'Slicks'- UH1s,all models A-D, which were unarmed except for perhaps 'door gunners.'They were 'Slick' on the side, hence the name.
    2.'Guns'-UH1,usually modified B and C models, that carried out board fixed machine guns/mini guns/2.75 rocket pods. These were the early gun ships in Viet Nam.
    3.'Slides'-AH1s(Cobras), new purpose built gun ships with a 'chin' turret' and short stubby wings that provided lift in forward flight and acted as 'hard points' for rocket pods and other weapons.
    4.Pilots talking informally amongst themselves would identify their specific aircraft as Slicks, Guns, or Slides. Later as all the UH1 Guns were phased out, the term 'slides' fell into disuse. The terminology then became: Slicks,Guns,Cobras, or Snakes.

There you go. Clear as mud,right? I'll try to stop doing that.:Thumbsup:

Jason

11. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Jason I think I understand now!!!!

Glad that guy in the cobra was ok, that must of been some ride after leaving the track