1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Unlike the earlier cars that just have one coil for all 4 cylinders, on the turbo cars they have a coil on each plug, the connections were clean...they're sealed really well.

I may tear it apart and see if I can find where it failed, but that may destroy it and all the evidence of the failure point. It was a sudden thing, no warning or leadup to it - one minute it worked, the next it was dead.

2. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    You can buy those coils for your car online, you don't have to go thru the dealer and for sure you don't have to replace the mounting bolts - that's ridiculous.

On the later model cars you have a separate coil for each sparkplug, mounted on the plug itself, rather than one coil that fires all four cylinders mounted on the valve cover, like your car.

It actually was $89 plus tax from my dealer, and that was for one coil - I bought two OEM coils off Amazon for $50 delivered, so I have one in the engine and one spare in the boot, just in case. Chances are I'll never use it but as I plan to just keep this car "forever", who knows, it may come in handy some day.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. touch33

touch33 New Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    As I'm sure you're aware, Murphy's Law states that as long as you have a spare you'll never experience another failure of the same part...

Thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  4. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    [QUOTE="Minidave, post: 416564, member: 1292"....I may tear it apart and see if I can find where it failed, but that may destroy it and all the evidence of the failure point. It was a sudden thing, no warning or leadup to it - one minute it worked, the next it was dead.[/QUOTE]

That's a great way to learn. I do that too. Even if you are not able to repair it and have a spare, you've learned what can happen and maybe even devise a way to prevent such a failure in the future.

Was that $85 for one coil? You only replace one? That's a lot less than the same part for my E60 BMW.

I'm still on my original factory coil on my R53 MINI. Was thinking of replacing it anyways but when I checked with the dealer about buying a pack, they would not sell me one because they insisted I buy new mounting bolts with it. But the mounting bolts are no longer available unless they order them from Germany.

Glad you got it all sorted out.

5. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Absolutely! $25 insurance policy.....

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Hey Dave did #3 or #4 post have any corrosion ?

I clean the posts on mine and and put a thin coat of Dielectric gel on every oil change. I only change my oil every 6 months since I only put 5k on the car a year.