Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Most liked posts in thread: Coilover vs Spring/Shock/Camberplate

1. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I ran swift spec-r with Bilstein B-8's and vorschlag plates for a few years. I loved this as a fast mountain street setup, with occasional HPDE.
    Upgraded to Colin's custom coils with 7k front / 8k rear, with Colin's camber/caster plates and they were VASTLY superior. Night and day.
    Then upgraded again to 10k front/rear... and the car is insanely awesome as a 80% track / 20% mountain twisties car.

You get what you pay for, generally. If you're really building it as an HPDE car, I'd spring for Colin's coils. Being able to fine tune ride height and corner balance matters A LOT on a car you're building primarily for the track. If you do the suspension right the first time, you won't need to buy it again. And this setup is plenty good for the vast majority of people, vs. the more expensive coilovers. Oh yeah... and having the added caster on the track is a great, great thing.

2. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    10k both ends is not too stiff? I will rarely drive this car on the street, basically just to the track

I have the jcw dedicated to autocross/street

3. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    do you do any of the tarheel events? Or nasa? I'll be at tarheel autocross this weekend and nasa @ nccar early sept. Also might do the night event next thursday 150 $ for 4 track sessions is a killer deal at CMP

4. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    Like Paul said, go with Colin's coil-overs and add the the caster/camber plates if you can. It's hard to beat this setup. Talk to Colin about spring rates.

5. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Might have scored a set of kW v3 cheap, will see if it pans out

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Plan on buying a set of Swift Springs because KW Springs Suck.
    I know since I have KW's and the springs only lasted a year or so.
    I replaced them with Swift springs and it is like night and day.

7. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I'm loving the 10k springs front and rear. Most people don't run enough spring on the rear on MINIs, according to Colin... and the force is with him, on this particular topic.

I DID find a situation where they were a bit much, on the street... on an uphill off-camber reducing radius sweeper, with a big bump in the middle... unsettled the car and oversteered. But on the track they were absolute bliss.

I do all the THSSC VIR and CMP events. I haven't been doing autocross, but may start just for fun (won't be competitive as the car will class to SM).

8. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Now that I have seen this thread the PM you sent me makes a lot more sense.
    Anyway I guess ill have to wait for you to get back to me so i can give you good answers.
    So the thing that i find most intersting about this is that I have become todays "Expensive" Shock. And i dont mean to put that out there in a disparaging or to be condicending to buyers more a observation about how the market has changed.
    It tried to offer something best bang for the buck. I litterally cant do anything better for less money.
    I could do better for more money but I dont think the market is there.
    As far as set up, I like to know what tyres you run how you use it and things of that nature.
    I'm lucky in that I sell enough of these to get a grip on what to do with the set up but not enough that I dont get to have a hand in making the set up work.
    I do like the Swift Bistein set up its fantastic but once you experience the transformitive nature of real camber plates and shocks its no comparison.
    really its all about intended use and budget.
    To do the springs and dampers with camber plates you are not far of of what coilovers would cost you anyway.

9. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    ^THIS

There are many levels of and goals for suspension setups.

Cheapest lowering coilovers so you live the stance/slammed lyfestyle? That's not what Colin sells.

His setup is designed to get in the same performance ballpark as higher-end track coils (in the $3-4K+ range) at a much lower price point.
    But if you have $7-8k to spend... you can certainly do that and get even better, I hear.

As Colin suggests, tire compound, setup (e.g. how much camber and caster you run), corner weights, aero / downforce, how you drive the car, experience level and car control skills... all play into the optimal spring rates and damping settings... It's not a one-size-fits-most approach, when you get to the point of optimizing the car for track performance. Best to actually talk through it with him.

10. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    #11 MrBlah, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    I got lucky, just bought some used KW V3's have ebaich camber plates, and I need to get springs for them

running RE71R now, will probably go to non DOT tires next year will be adding front & rear aero

11. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Orrrrrrrr you can buy some used stuff with unknown performance characteristics, and hope that somehow someone can recommend and supply springs that will work with your used struts and meet your expectations and not somehow make the person who sells you the springs look bad because you didn't end up liking what you got... when the person selling the springs had NO control over how used struts of a different brand perform...

12. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Why don't you give me a ride along in your car so I can see how it handles

13. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Anytime! Where do you live?

14. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just south of pittsboro there are some fun roads around here

15. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Make sure you wear some adult Depends because you may shat yourself riding in Pauls car if he pushes it. :lol:

Oh and bring a barf bag just in-case. :ihih:

16. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I took 1st in novice saturday and sunday, first year of autocross now that I've locked up novice trophy for the year I'm switching to d-street where I'll get my ass handed to me, if I never improve on the local fast guy (Brice) I might switch back and forth to STX or maybe some nt01's in DSP with this track mini to get used to more grip/speed. Right now I'm about 1.5 seconds off his pace he is usually top 10 raw & pax in his 06 JCW

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z4W1KUU8gI"]LapTimerOverlay 20160717 081005 - YouTube[/ame]

17. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Thats not a 08 1 series.

18. MrBlah

MrBlah Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yah I forgot to tell app which car I was racing, had it set to the 135i from last event