MOTD 2019 Most liked posts in thread: Come on 600!

1. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    I'll be there. And so will my 12 year old Grandson. We'll be in my 3rd Generation car.

2. colinmini

colinmini Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +584 / 0 / -0
    MINIs have the unique ability to attract 18 year olds and 80 year olds! Some think they are cute, some enjoy their quickness and agility. I see both sides, but love to drive my R50 fast.

I enjoy coming down to the Dragon during off weeks to drive the Dragon quickly and with less cars. I also enjoy all the activities, MINI people and seeing are the cool MINIs at MOTD!

A huge thank you to Barry for stepping up and giving 8 months of each year to make MOTD a huge success! Thanks also to all those who volunteer and help make our event great.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    I finally got into the one ride I wanted...how to drive an automatic on the Dragon. Only 3 people- WaHoo !!!

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    What agenda do you feel non-gen 1 owners have?

This almost sounds like the old Mini vs MINI thing. Are only gen 1 MINI's welcome? I was last there with my wife's gen 2 clubster & everyone seemed friendly & happy. Even the kids there looked like they were enjoying the family car hobby.

As you know everything was better in the good old days. We were younger weighed less & our cars had fewer miles on them.

5. vetsvette

vetsvette MINI Alliance Ambassador

Nov 9, 2013
    South Central Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1,937 / 0 / -0
    Nope. Traded my '07 MCS for the F56. I took this to my first couple of Dragons.

IMG_0534.jpg

6. Goldsmithy

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    I have a question for everyone. XLM is an f/b user group. Its founder is a power hungry, dictatorial assholic individual, with 2 or more faces that happened to hit on a good idea at the right time. That way was a cheap plan to express their individuality through stickers, eyelashes, and other kinds of 'custom' accouterments. And this is their kind of fun...not necessarily driving. My question is...Do you think that we should look past the founder...to the people? They can't or don't want to build a track car or one with hundreds of horsepower, or drive fast on twisty roads...but they still like MINIs. I feel that LXM should be accepted for what it is and not be criticized at every turn. The only one 'hate' hurts is the 'hater'. If you notice, the founder does not go to the Dragon. Since I can't personally stone him, I do not plan on wasting any more time on hating the people.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Amen

8. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 6 / -5
    Really sounds like a lot of unneeded drama. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. colinmini

colinmini Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +584 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I’m not in FB. I only attend MOTD and enjoy fellow MINI owners company. Missed last year due to my best friend being in the hospital, 12 straight MOTD’s before that. Glad I will be returning this year. Missed my Dragon Family! See ya’ll soon.

10. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    #46 Crashton, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Not a fan of LXM, & their closed clubish circle. We had an outbreak of that here & since I'm friends with you guys on M/A I guess I'm not allowed to be theirs. That's OK I've made my choices & am happy with them. My take is that life is too short to hate anyone. I feel hate eats at you from the inside. I try to be friends with all I come in contact with, it's justa how I roll. If it's not OK with someone I kill them with kindness & move on.

Barry needs to be knighted for all he does for the MINI community at large. I can't imagine all the work he puts in & the weight he carries on his shoulders. For someone to complain about how he runs things is stupidity of the highest order. If they don't like it they should step in & help. People who help have an earned right to ask Barry questions about the way things are run. From where I sit as a 3 time MOTD participant it looks good to me. But heck what do I know.

EDIT > All the minions that hep Barry also deserve an attaboy for their efforts too.

Thankfully I have never been on farce-book. Dave is right that is where a lot of the MINI folks have gone never to be seen again. Not only MINI, but every car forum I belong to is seeing the same thing. Also is happening on some of the photography sites I hand out on.

Thanks for listening to me vent, getting off my soapbox now. o_O

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Just practice on your paddles as you wade thru the Cincinnati traffic [NOT on the interstate] and you'll be more than experienced.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Hey you kids get off my lawn, er I mean road. :Cigar:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Goldsmithy

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    The truth of the matter is that MOTD is Barry's event. He can do with it what he pleases. Whether people like what it turns into, and keep going, is another story. I hate to say this, but LXM is taking its toll. It's really sad when things change and they just aren't the same anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Bringing my younger son was big fun. But it is a driving event.

15. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Sorry, Teddy, but you are wrong here. MOTD was doing great before Barry took over. However, he has made it a more powerful venue by keeping people informed with his newsleters. He runs around like a madman during MOTD, making sure the schedules run on time, and he has done a wonderful job at that.

MOTD has changed so much from the original groups of Generation 1 participants. Way too many participants have little or no knowledge of how/when it all began...nor could they care less. They are not Gen 1 owners, and as such...have their own agendas and THAT has affected the popularity of MOTD, IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    Yea! but is it Modded?? :D

Jeff that's Whitie (Vetsvette) he changed his avatar. I know it through me off the first time I saw it. By the way I like it!

Ok short highjack. During the time of the Gen1 cars they were few on the road.The were different and fun, breath of fresh air. So when you saw one you would naturally wave. The mini turned a lot of noncar people into car guys. During both Gen1 and 2 mini even prompted the be different team. I thank this kept the same type of people buying the Mini. Now Mini is more interested in mass marked. Different people are buying the car. Now the Gen 1&2 cars are on the used car market and a lot of people are looking for a cheep car and thats all they care about.
    There are enthuses in all three Gens just not as many. @VetsVettes has an great Gen3 car nicely modded. Because of this changes we need to stick together as enthuses.
    If everyone hasn't seen they have announced the new GP. It will have 300hp out of the box. Guess who is calling the dealer today to see about pricing? :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,875 / 10 / -3
    You forgot to say we were better looking too.:D

18. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Just asking you this question > What agenda do non-gen 1 MINI owners have? I'll await your answer. No bone picking here, just trying to understand what you mean by that.

19. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Nice looking car.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well since Barry took over it is more organized. Is that a good thing, kind of, the web page and updates are good but he is now ass kidding to LXM and other non-enthusiasts groups and this is not.

Oh and free-is not free, as registration has gone up ever year. Now I am not complaining about a $12.00 dollars or anything I am stating the facts.

Us gen 1 guys have no hidden agendas, we just want to come together, hang out and not have more that one charity cause pushed at us. The food bank is a good charity but MINI skirts and the other stuff should not be at MOTD. This is a motoring event not a charity week.

Also this should be an ADULTS ONLY event. Many of us are getting away and this is our vacation and we don’t want to share it with your children. Almost everyone drinks for the most part as anyone can walk around with an open beverage of any kind. People use foul language, “me included” and we should not have to look around for your damn kids. We have late night fires and BS about are cars and others around us.

This is a car event in the Smokey Mountains in the South, not where the attendees come from. This is Not Disney World or Disney Land so of new or old MINI owners don’t like it no one is forcing them to go. We don’t want your servey options about how you could make it more family/ children / LXM friendly.

We all come to hang out with friends and DRIVE an INCREDIBLE ROAD and the roads around the area.

Newer people need to assimilate to the non MINI sponsored MOTD event and not try to change it.

If you want attend a silly “MINI MINI SPONSORED” event try MINI TAKES THE STATES.