1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Barry,

You did a heck of a job again this year. Props on keeping the rain away Wen - Sat. The few sprinkles Sat eve don't count.

Karaoke was hoot, started off a little slow but then everyone got into it. The DJ was a bit of a downer though. Rude and took to many breaks that were too long.

Registration went smoothly again, we seem to have that down. Lots of comments on how streamlined and efficient we were. The few snafu's were easily taken care of.

One comment about T-Shirts for Fontana Staff, they should be slightly different. maybe even print "Fontana Village Staff" on them.

2. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Could the newbie orientation be moved back to later in the event? Even though we were local we didn't get up there until Friday and I felt like I probably missed some useful info.

Random question Barry. Were those walkie talkies used for communicating during the group photo only or were people hopping on there to ask you questions throughout the weekend?

3. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    We did expand the Newbie Run from one to two this year. Jack also came up with a awesome video that he will be tweaking so it's not "2010" specific and it will be posted on the Dragon site for all to watch anytime.

The photographer handed out several walkie-talkies for the line captains to use, but most folks bring their own from home and the group uses channel 7 sub channel 21 throughout the event to make announcements

4. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup: Job well done on your part.

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Registration times and location - I know this is volunteer-managed, and that constrains things - but the current schedule has been problematic for me for the past couple of years. I don't know if this impacts anyone else, but for those of us who are "later arrivals" the available registration times are limited and seem to always conflict with other things.

My example: I arrive on Thursday evening most years. The only registration times after that are 2-4 on Friday and Saturday (I think). The Friday time conflicts with the car show. Luckily, this year I was able to send a friend to pick up my stuff during the show. The Saturday time is pretty late in the game to get your badge.

I think locating registration in the lodge compounds the challenge for some of us. Because unless you're staying in the lodge, it's not particularly convenient. If it were in or near "tent city", rec hall, etc. then it would be easier for late arrivals to swing by and pick up stuff during the day while they're walking through the main area anyway.

I know the big registration trailer thing a couple of years ago wasn't a perfect solution - but, at least for me, that location worked better.

Or, perhaps, I'm the ONLY person this is an issue for. In which case I'll just pound sand. ;-)

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Registration needs to be in a place we can secure. That said, we could possibly look into moving it into one of the rooms by the bar in the Rec Hall / Adventure Center. Barry, can we look into this for 2011 please. In the grand scheme of things the lodge is sort of out of the main flow of things.

We looked at how many people came through at various times in 2009 and dropped the Friday 9 - 11 AM slot this year as there were so few.

The trailer is not always available plus we need more room than that offers. We'd of filled the space with canned good donations this year.

7. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    The trailer had several issues, so I don't see that coming back. The card room in the rec hall may be a possiblity for next year and I'll be looking into that. Security is a issue, I just did a count and 23 shirts are missing that I have to mail out :frown5:

8. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    KUDO's Dude!!

Drive in Movie??
    I think you got is ALL correct this time ( gets better and better!!)

Thanks..

Thumper

9. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    forgot to ask in the first post.....did anyone use the coupon page in the registration bag?

10. HalAC

HalAC New Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Instrument Calibration Technician
    Tullahoma, TN
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes. We used one at 13 Moons and another at Deal's Gap. Coupons worked great for us. :Thumbsup:

11. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I just want to say thank you to Snooter. You have made the event great fun for a lot of people.

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Silly me, I didn't even pick up my swag bag. Not like I didn't have the opportunity too being as I was part of the team that stuffed the bags and lead the volunteers that worked registration.

Thank you very much to all those that helped at registration too.

13. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    My wife, friend, and I were talking about suggestions for next year on the drive home. This was our first year, we had a blast, and the event was planned and exexuted incredibly IMO, but since we had 10 hours of driving, we came up with a couple things we thought would be fun:

- A MINI Trivia Gameshow that could consist of a few ~3 person teams from several of the major regional MINI clubs or forums. Maybe have a trophy that the winning MINI group/forum gets to keep for the year like they do with the Stanley Cup. Obviously, more thought would need to go into this, but it's just an idea that we thought could be a lot of fun to watch or be a part of.

- A slowpitch softball game. We've got the field and plenty of people looking to have fun... Why not?

Also, if we decided to look into or actually do either of these things, I'd be happy to help organize/plan/run them if needed, Barry.

14. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Funny you should mention the game thing....after going on a cruise a while back, I came away thinking that a game contest like they have on the cruise ships would be fun. I'll make a note of it and maybe in October we can toss it around some more.

15. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    October!? What, you don't want to start planning for next year immediately, Barry? :D

It's actually kind of depressing thinking about how far away the next MOTD is. haha

16. theCapn

theCapn New Member

May 13, 2009
    Upstate, SC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I posted this on that Other forum, but I figure it's relevant here too....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll add to the great job pats-on-the-back for Barry! Great job!!

Now.... with that said...

Locations, even if they change, it would be great idea to add to the welcome packet, or, on the whiteboard. If they do get moved. Have a person there telling folks where it has moved to.

There was lots of chatter on the radio (7 sub 21, main channel) about the first group leaving for the Ice Cream Run.... (directly after the panoramic photo)
    and there was also a 2nd group. It left about 20mins, or so, after the 1st.
    (I led it)

While there is a lot of chatter, etc. on the radio that you would be subject to, it is the primary form of comm while at Fontana Village.

Speed codes would be a good idea. That also needs to be discussed before the group departs. In addition to that, the leader of the drive needs to be responsible for the people following him/her. That responsibility also needs to be passed along to everyone else in the line. If you see someone drop off behind you, call (on the radio that is highly needed) and see 'sup.

A detailing clinic is another good idea. Water and power and room (along with shade) is needed for that though. Anyone know of a place with all the needed elements?

One last thing...... many, many thanks to all of the MINIs that moved/pulled over so that the faster ones could get by. For those that didn't, well, let's just say, look in yo mirrors mo often. If someone is in your mirror that wasn't there a min ago, you should know wassup.

17. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Kudos to Barry and everyone that helped make this a great event. This was my first Dragon and I can't wait to do it again!

Ooooo, I like the detailing idea. I second that. Don't really have much to add.... I enjoyed everything more than I thought I would!
    :Thumbsup::Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

18. COOP310

COOP310 New Member

May 12, 2009
    Lake Mary, FL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've always thought it would be cool to have a farewell breakfast early Sunday. It is the most important (and yummy) meal of the day!

I like the idea of the drive in movie. It was always fun, but how many times can you watch The Italian Job?

in '06 there was a Chili Cook Off at Tapoco Lodge. (different than the chili meal in the tent of '08) The Chili wasn't the meal, sandwiches were, but everyone could taste the entrant's Chili and vote on the winner. I'd love to see it return!

Final suggestion, someone who can fix flat tires on a Sunday :mad: :mad: :mad:

Great job Barry!

19. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    We have tossed around the idea of the Sunday Breakfast in the past. But folks seem to leave at all hours of the morning and appear to be in rush to hit the road. But I do think it would be a nice bit of "closure"

The movie is quite expensive and half the time we get rained on. Although this year was gorgeous out and we could have shown Avatar. We'll need some extra sponsor money to bring that back. I was thinking maybe we would do this every other or every two years. (so if not in 2011, maybe for the big 10th!!)

I would love to get the Chili Cookoff back....just need some volunteers to make that happen. The Atlanta Cook-off at Topoca was one of the things that got me hooked my first year.

I'll add all the items to the master list.

Keep the suggestions going everyone!!

20. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I did. That was a good idea, so thanks for thinking about it.

Jim