Comments and Suggestions

Discussion in 'MINIs on the Dragon 8 (April 28 - May 2, 2010)' started by Snooter, May 2, 2010.

1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I did. That was a good idea, so thanks for thinking about it.

Jim

2. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    My selfish suggestion... move MOTD to late May or June (summer). The way it is scheduled now, I won't be able to attend until I retire. :cryin:

3. JLJWEIS

JLJWEIS Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Several thoughts:
    MOTD 8 was my first Dragon! I thought the registration worked beautifuly - and other than perhaps having it closer to vendor row - it was very well run and organized.

I didn't get to do any of the organized runs I'd planned on other than the Parade - but I did get alot of driving in and utilized earlier provided maps - that (the Event Guide in advance) was a terrific idea!

The food drive was amazing and I love that idea of giving back to a wonderful community as we did!

I like the idea of a chili cookoff and perhaps another group could head that up - however I think that would take a lot of GEAR that would be difficult to pack and carry - but people a lot smarter than I would probably be able to figure that out!

the movie sounds fun but rain would obviously be a problem in that event.

The location for the panaramic photo seemed a bit cramped but don't know that there is a "better" place there in the Fontana Village.

I hope the vendors felt it was a successful venture - I do enjoy seeing them there - favorites were the Real Deal Hats and Asthetic Creations and Stuck on Minis!

Oh yeah and I used two of the coupons from the welcome bag (GREAT idea)! And brought people into those establishments!

Metroplex MINI Peeps were big winners at Bingo so we all LOVED that! Very lively event with great prizes too! The brew swap was fun and interesting and I enjoyed seeing the other brews people brought and trading for them!

The parade was awesome - even though a big chunk of people ended up going the wrong way - the CD was fun and a good way to start an early morning ride!

Barry - I think you have this event down pat - with the help of others around you - you put on an awesome event - I have already submitted my PTO request for next year!

Oh and the guitar / folk singer on Friday was very good and I think people enjoyed having him singing as they shopped Vendor Row!

Guess that's enough for now - I had a ball and plan on being back next year for sure!

4. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    FYI for the newbies....we used to have the panoramic Photo on the field by the base of the lower dam, but it required TVA approval which was becoming harder and harder to obtain each year. Plus they would also have large shipping containers from various projects in the area we needed to use and it was often hard getting them to move them..........ironically this year, the area was free and clear...go figure

5. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    A couple of ideas. During registration maybe have a slot designated where you ask how many times you've been to MOTD. It could help organizers keep track of new people as they might have more questions on how things happen or where things are.

For an M/A thing in conjunction with MOTD maybe after the Dragon a feature could be run on the MINI there with the most miles, the newest MINI there, who traveled the longest, forum/club with the most members present.

6. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    My first MOTD also and I had a good time, as it was well run. I was looking forward to meeting and talking to some of the folks I see posting here all the time, however there was no way to find them. I even asked several people if they had seen (enter user name here) only to be told they had no idea who that was. I have no idea how to deal with that, but I am just tossing it out there.

Jim

7. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    in years past, shortly before the Dragon, someone would start a picture thread, where folks would post a recent picture of themselves, so folks could put a screen name and face together. Maybe someone could do that for next years event

8. Hockeyman

Hockeyman New Member

May 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Got to get my 2 cents in, over all this event was actually pretty incredible. Very well run, low cost over all, and a absolute great time. This was my and wives first, we had one of the Check Mini's and are talking about coming the 10.5 hour drive again next year.
    One suggestion would be for the volunteers that did the runs. To hold up every so often along the route and regroup there was a couple of times when we lost the leaders and were not sure if we were going the right way. Luckily we were, but I would hate to have 15 other minis follow us the wrong way.
    And my wife suggested if you could bring in more vendors??
    Something that I would like to say is how friendly everyone was, and THANK EVERYONE for that. And we did like the Karokee also keep it in next year. Thank you Barry and company for all your hard work it was well worth it.

9. Little Wing

Little Wing New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Ooh, that's a great idea.
    It would be really great if folks put a picture of themselves up with their MINI.
    I came to recognize cars, but not the people they belonged to. :lol:

Thanks again Barry for putting this together.
    It was wonderful and I am so glad that I made reservations for next year! :Thumbsup:

10. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Another thought came to me today. Perhaps several folks, who are vets of the dragon, would make themselves available to let others ride shotgun with them to get a first had view of how it is done. Not everyone would want a passanger, so the ones that were OK with it would be easy to find. I would find this very helphul.

Jim

11. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    maybe that is something we could have on the newbie run. I know Jack offered this service last year and I'm sure other vets wouldn't mind either.

12. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Here are some comments I have recieved vial email:

Sport event on Field (Softball, kickball or volleyball)
    Beerolympics
    Movie night
    MINI marathon on some sorts with silly games and prizes
    Autocross

13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Beerolympics

Barry thanks again for putting MOTD together again this year. It was awesome!
    I had a great time this year again and I have already reserved my Fontana house for next year! Great job again....:Thumbsup:

How many days until 2011? :confused:

14. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    How about someone doing a talk on driving tips for the Dragon to get the smoothest run. It looks like there are some driving instructors amoung the vendors.

Jim

15. Thumper460

Thumper460 Active Member

May 26, 2009
    United States Navy ..Retired
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    We were camping... actually "swimming " on Monday and Tuesday. However on this trip I brought my Daughter/Husband/Grandson... ( yep, they were swimming also..lol)
    HE is a fisherman, Duh... Fl.!! LOL.. so he bought a NC fishing license and hit the river.. right AT the campground!! That night we had Grilled FRESH Trout!! HE said , every time he hit the water he had a fish!! said he did hook&release till he got tired!!

Where am I going?? How about a "Biggest fish" contest with us all eating the results ( cant keep the suckers for a few days in ICE) There could be a Fish Fry ( grill) after a short fishing contest! The lic. can be bought at the Marina.. and the "in custody" number is quite good!!

I know it is all about the Dragon... but damn.. the fishing was good!!

Just a thought!!

Thumper

16. kgdblu

kgdblu Active Member

May 7, 2009
    living
    Severna Park MD
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    The O60 reunion idea..

I was talking to another "Original 60" , Dave from Memphis (his license plate is NAZGUL), and we were tossing around the idea of an O60 reunion MOTD in '12.

If you, or someone you know, was one of the original 60 cars back in '03..send me a PM as to your thoughts about this.

Barry, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you run the best damn MOTD's ever! And I've been to 'em all. My thanks to you, your incredibly patient wife and all the volunteers, contributors, vendors, etc. 3 cheers for a job more than well done!!

17. Snooter

Snooter Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Canton, NC
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    :blush2: aw shucks....thanks Katie :D