Comparison: '12 Fiat 500 Abarth vs '12 Mini Cooper S Coupe vs '13 Hyundai Veloster

Discussion in 'MINIs in Other Media' started by Nathan, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Winding Road article.

—Livonia, Michigan

A few years ago, we put together a comparison pitting four of our favorite hot hatches against one another. Now, in 2012, we have a new generation of fast, turbocharged hatchbacks that deserve a close look. One brand, the winner from the last test—Mini—is represented here again, this time in the Mini Cooper S Coupe. Also in the race is the new Fiat 500 Abarth, which has garnered a lot of attention from the media and the public. Finally, we threw in the Hyundai Veloster Turbo, which we think is both an interesting and exciting candidate, even if it hasn’t had much time to make a name for itself.

So, let the battle begin, starting with a car that has already proven itself to be an exemplary driver’s machine in the digital pages of Winding Road.

2012 Mini Cooper S Coupe

Perhaps the most balanced vehicle of our trio is the 2012 Mini Cooper S Coupe. With its 1.6-liter, turbocharged four-pot churning out 181 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque, it situates neatly between the 500 Abarth and the Veloster Turbo. It also bridges the gap on weight, tipping the scales at just under 2700 pounds.

The 1.6-liter turbo being employed by the Mini is a peach of a powerplant. Peak torque is spread liberally throughout the rev range, and the twin-scroll design of its turbocharger allows a quick-spooling nature that was decidedly absent from either of the competitors. The throttle response didn’t feel very crisp, regardless of whether Sport mode was engaged or not. Speaking of Sport, it’s responsible for the delightful noises that come from the Mini’s exhaust. We’ve written about the snapping and popping exhaust of our Cooper S Coupe before, and while it plays second fiddle in this comparison to the diabolical Abarth’s voice, it’s still a cool, aggressive note that really works on a small car.

More - Winding Road | Comparison: 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth vs. 2012 Mini Cooper S Coupe vs. 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

2. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I have a '03 MINI Cooper S Supercharged that put's out 163 H.P. and 155 FT.LB, if I put a 15% Supercharger pulley on it will make about as much power and torque as this car and is lighter to boot. I'm sorry I just don't like the roof line on this MINI.

3. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #3 oldvet53, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    I had a '70 Fiat 850 Sport Coupe and it had the typical for back then the obligatory 1st. gear that would just get you rolling as it was real short but from there on out it was a widely spaced gearbox. It got my Big Brother 3 day's in the Orlando,Fla. jail as he picked me up from work and we were right in front of the state police hq. and we were racing a 1600 hemi head Corolla and we turned left with the state cop following us and let the Corolla go. Now the Fiat was Abarth equipped I know it had a 32mm dual throat Weber carb and Abarth exhaust as far as what had been done inside the motor, I don't know but it was a poor mans Ferrari. Long story short the state cop in his Plymoth Furry III with mercury sway bar susspension trying to keep up pulled the right rear off the rim. When Dad retired from the Navy and we moved back to Arkansas from Orlando,Fla to Grannis,Ark. we got 40mpg. out of the little Fiat, wish I still had that car.