Complaints after Top Gear Stig shooting

Discussion in 'Top Gear' started by Nathan, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The BBC's 'Top Gear' is once again embroiled in controversy after the famous hosts were shown performing a drive-by shooting of The Stig.

The stunt aired on Tuesday evening (December 21) during the first of two Christmas specials, involving a trip across the US.

The episode has been slammed by some viewers and the BBC has admitted that it has received a 'considerable number' of complaints. TV regulator Ofcom has confirmed that it has also been contacted, and will investigate in due course.

The stunt follows the controversial sacking of Ben Collins as the Stig in September after he wrote a book that revealed his identity. The 'Top Gear' presenters were shown firing at a cardboard cut-out of the Stig from a moving car.

Complaints appeared on the BBC's Points of View online message board immediately after the programme was aired. One viewer said that he'd: "Turned off the programme in disgust." However, plenty of users reacted in defence of the programme.

This isn't the first time that 'Top Gear' has courted controversy. Some claim the show is deliberately engineered to garner publicity, as this controversy comes two days before the second 'Top Gear' Christmas special, on Boxing Day.

The show isn't struggling for ratings, though. Tuesday's special was watched by 5.41 million viewers - more than twice the amount that watched Jamie Oliver's Best Ever Christmas on Channel Four (2.11 million).

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    At least it was a justa cardboard Stig. :p

Great publicity.... ;)

3. werD

werD Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Slave to technology...
    Nashville, TN
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Weak sauce. If people fuss about that, then they should wander away to watch Ann of Green Gables or something.

The Stig is a fictional character... Who gets that attached to a anonymous TV star anyway? I certainly enjoy watching the drives and comedy surrounding the Stig, but if they move on to a new role, I'll certainly survive and watch the show as enthusiastically as ever...

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  5. tater tot

tater tot New Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I really thought it was funny the way they kept talking about getting stabbed in the back, how disrespectful he was ect. I really liked it when Jeramy opened the doors on his Merc. and pointed the machine gun priceless, great show. Can't wait for the three wise man, I can't imagine a religion will go unscathed.

6. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I like that they came to America to play with guns, and they loved it. For the record, I like guns, too.

7. phinz

phinz New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    FWIW, it wasn't a "machine gun" but I *loved* the episode. Especially the jab at the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is a beautiful drive but is over-patrolled and over-limited.

8. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    So is all this animosity towards the Stig real or just for publicity? Do the 3 Stooges really feel stabbed in the back?!?! :frown5:

9. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    It was all done in fun, and no one really got killed. People need to lighten up, really.

10. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Good question......it sure sounded real to me.

Remember he published the book without permission of the BBC, to whom he was still under contract - and who had specific language in his contract against revealing who he was.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  12. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    When and on what channel is the second half Boxing Day episode to be aired? I only see re-runs scheduled for Monday.

13. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    Bear in mind that the attitude to gun use in Britain is entirely different - for probably a majority of Brits, any use of a gun (maybe even including their use by police) is unacceptable.

Please note - didn't say anything about right or wrong, just said different.

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The Boxing Day broadcast of the Top Gear Christmas Special is currently airing on BBC2 in the UK. BBC America will probably broadcast it in about a year over here in the states and then it will be cut to shreds to fit in a 1 hour time slot with commercials.

The file will be available here on M/A probably around 6PM CT assuming it is uploaded fairly quickly after the show is over.

15. scobib

scobib New Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Outrage over anything having to do with guns in the UK? Shocking...

16. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    You obviously weren't around for the "Who shot JR" craze... People are nuts everywhere.

:D