Conjecture: BMW to build 9-2 on Mini chassis for Saab

Discussion in 'Future MINIs' started by Nathan, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

From Autoblog

Feast your eyes on the newest bit of rumor from the creative crew at AutoExpress. The site claims that BMW and Saab are looking to shack up for the production of a new 9-2 based on – you guessed it – the Mini Cooper. The idea is to create a new compact Saab that can go toe-to-toe with Audi's new teacup fighter, the A1, while lessening the burden of development costs for Saab's parent company, Spyker. According to AE, the news came to light during an interview with Saab head honcho Victor Muller, though the direct quote merely suggests that the company will look outside of itself for a little help with chassis development.

The idea of a Mini-based 9-2 doesn't hurt our feelings one bit, and it would seem to make sense for BMW to want to reduce the cost of developing the next-generation Cooper/1 Series by joining forces with another company, and this isn't the first time we've gotten word of such a partnership. But until we hear something a little more substantial from either Saab or BMW, we'd suggest downing this one with a hefty grain of salt.

[​IMG]

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't buy it simply because that's not where I am headed in my car progression, but I like it. A nice clean rendering.

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Well, that's how we got Saabaru's, wasn't it? You know, the Saab-ized version of the WRX they sold for a while as the 9-2?

I imagine BMW would love to get some more $$$ mileage out of the MINI brand, but I hate to see it used like this.

Still I'll bet more potential SAAB buyers would rather see the car built on a MINI/BMW platform than a Geely......

4. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Meh. The 9-2X was a fabulous car....Subaru mod-ability, Saab styling and luxo features. Thing is, it was still a Subaru and Saab buyers want brand cache....

The more likely donor for a new 9-2 would be the little Volvo, especially given that rendering. Its almost like they took the Volvo styling cues, ported to a MINI and gave it Saab branding. Makes no sense.

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Huh......
    I wonder if they will move the ignition to the floor between the seats?:idea:

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Let's see there talking about a new BMW built on the Mini platform, now a Saab on a Mini platform and all the new variations already coming from Mini, at what point will they have diluted the uniqueness right out of Mini ownership? Bad idea.

7. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I do love that whomever did the "rendering" just left the JCW wheels on, but threw on some SAAB centercaps.