Consumer Reports has no love for MINI

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Nathan, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    In the most recent Consumer Reports magazine's annual rankings MINI did not feel the love.

Hatchbacks/Wagons, Small: Worst: Mini Cooper Clubman

Sports Cars, Two-Seat and Convertible: Worst: Mini Cooper Convertible S

Consumer Reports, published by Consumers Union, evaluates cars for how well they drive, interior-finish quality, fuel economy and reliability. Consumer Reports received vehicle reliability data from about 1.3 million subscribers for this year's rankings.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    What a coincidence, I have no love for Consumer Reports. :incazzato:

Can't wait to tell Babs her justaclubster is craptastic. On second thought mums the word. :wink:

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Consumer Reports :mad2::mad5::mad2::mad5:

4. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Whadda they know.........Hell, what's it even matter? :eek:ut:

But thanks, Nathan, for reminding me why I never consult them for anything I'm looking at buying.

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I just never felt CR were really testing cars properly... It's not the same as dropping a toaster from 4 feet or seeing which paper towel is more absorbent..... Just were is the grin test or the "yea ha" test on the MINI..... They just don't get it IMHO.....:D

6. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Life Goes On. The love, appreciation and excitement/drivebility is hard to quantify/qualify. We know about it but nonMini people don't. Do we spend a lot of money on our Minis? Hell yeah and love every minute of it. Do we know ahead of time that we are adopting in to a controversial family? Hell yeah and we'll pamper our babies no matter what. If we wanted a Ford that lasts forever,even while being abused, then we would get one. We want a car that from 3 blocks away people will say,"there goes Bill.I'd know that car any where." Or a car where the passenger says,"better slow down for this turn up ahead" and go right through it while accelerating. We're Mini people and most others will never understand us. We are willing to 'keep ahead of the maintainance curve' and care for a car that is tuned to the 'inth degree.' We know that they will break and we accept that(and save rainy day money). No They'll Never Understand Mini People. It's more fun to stay quiet and just observe them scratching their heads and wondering what's wrong with us as we keep smiling and drive on..:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

Jason

7. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Well......unfortunately the BMW/PEUGEOT motor is not doing MINI any favors :( and we own one. This motor is giving us a black eye. Steve from CMS has had some MAJOR repairs to these cars, last week a complete long block replacement, the customer really had to think if he wanted to spend the money....he eventually decided to. A month ago a lady turned in her car to the bank, in lieu of spending the cash to do the dreaded timing chain fiasco :( I mean if we decide to keep my wife's car, we will spend the cash for the extended warranty, you have to :fingerscrossed:

8. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    #8 minimark, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    Another long time Miniac we know is apparently giving up on his turbo and leaving the Mini fold after having so many problems.... :(

9. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Well, I am just going to run right out and buy a Honda... :eek:ut:

Sorry if I just don't fit into the conform-to-boring-a$$ed-car crowd. I want a car that turns heads, is super fun to drive, and doesn't look like every other BMOT (boring mode of transportation) out there.

10. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Long live my R53!!!

11. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    My thoughts exactly John. :Thumbsup:

Jim

12. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I drive a MINI because I like a MINI and the people that I've met while owning them. I don't give a carp what Consume-More Reports has to say.

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    We may not like what they say, but they seem to be right on with the issues. We are all miniacs around here, so most of us have made the decision to live with the "quirks" of MINI ownership.

But, honestly, I will not be recommending the new MINI's to any of my friends/relatives.

14. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Well... The 3 cylinders are just around the corner, so we'll get to see if MINI / BMW gets it right this time.....

15. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I will only recommend Coopers. Most of the big/common issues are exclusive or nearly exclusive to the turbo motors... HPFP, melting hood scoops, timing chain, frozen throttle body, etc. (And I know I'm missing some)

16. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    My sister in law and her husband wanted to buy a new Mini, they live a couple hours from the closest dealership.....I told them not to buy one when asked. Hated to but....in all honesty they are more Honda people.

17. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    So a MINI Cooper S is NOT a "Cooper", now? C'mon... Gimme a break. The R53's have their issues, also. Mainly you have to mod the crap out of them to keep up with the R56's... :devil:

In all seriousness, the MINI is a sports car. You can buy the Justa, and of course you will have fewer problems because there are fewer things to break and they are not typically being pushed as hard, but like any car, the more high performance it gets, the more issues will arise. Closer tolerances mean more opportunities for failure. Honda's and Toyota's in their most reliable forms are pretty boring. You start pumping up the performance, they start facing the same issues as anyone who has ever owned a sports car knows.

I love my MINI. It is the most fun car I have owned. Period.

18. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Cough...cough....:devil:...BS.:ihih:

19. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    No really. It IS my favorite. :Thumbsup:

20. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure if you're referring to my post, but if so, I wasn't saying that MCS's weren't Coopers, just saying I would only specifically recommend a 'Cooper', not a Cooper S.

I agree that it's no surprise that the MCS is less reliable. I should clarify that the people I have recommended Coopers to are not 'enthusiasts'. If an enthusiast asked about a Cooper S, I would say go for it, but let them know about the potential issues. For people who usually drive Hyundais, Hondas, Toyotas, etc., I can only recommend the Cooper. It's very unfortunate, but for those people (in fact, MOST people), the Cooper will offer all the MINI character, performance, and efficiency that they need... So paying extra for power they don't need and getting less reliability is a trade-off most people probably shouldn't make.