Consumer Reports has no love for MINI

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Nathan, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I've owned my 08 MCS for a little over a year now. I did have the timing chain dealt with under warranty (they also replaced my mirror caps and a droopy scoop). So far nothing else has gone wrong, and I've put about 20,000 miles on it since I got it last February.

Seems pretty reliable so far. I was putting $3,000+ a year into my '96 Subaru when I replaced it. By comparison, the MINI is far less trouble.

2. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    No love for Consumer Reports either.
    Just take them hondas and shovem!

3. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    I have an '08, MCS. Only issue I have had was the timing chain tensioner. I had mine replaced under warranty. From what I have seen, tho, it is not a hard replacement if you are even slightly mechanically inclined.

If you don't mind doing your own work and buying some of the tools that make the work much easier, most of the stuff you can do yourself.

I forgot about the hood scoop, also. Had to have that replaced, also. Easy to do yourself, but definitely recommend the heat shield.

4. Motormax

Motormax New Member

Jun 4, 2012
    I'm CEO/Owner of GGS (Gryphon Global Services) a i
    Beautiful Tampa Bay Florida
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Ok I have to chime in on this one ! 1st I know Nathan is just being the messenger and so no blame to him ! It's an interesting thread and worth discussing . I don't like at all Consumer Reports at all !! I have made purchases (appliances not cars) based on their reports when I was a younger guy when was a 1st time home owner and absolutely totally regretted it EVERY time. By the time I was 25 I had realized this report for the most part is completely useless !! The parameters of there test are often arbitrary, inaccurate, and often down right silly. As a professional ( I worked as a professional research analyst in the technology sector for 8 years) I have come across direct information that this body (Consumer Reports) completely misrepresent themselves as a non bias total consumer advocate. (For legal and liability reasons I won't go into details) No more is this more glaring then auto comparisons. Often comparing the top trim of one vehicle to the base of another based on cost for instance or even what grade of fuel a car takes. I have seen them make track comparisons between two vehicles one testing a vehicle with standard rubber while the other vehicle tested is on performance exclusive summer tires. I have even seen test where they tested two sport cars where one car was just a flat out sport car and the other had a sport "mode" and did NOT engage the sport mode on the car that had one ! Then complained that the car not it sport mode was "Disappointingly tamed" a duh ! They also don't double check or verify that consumer reviews are made by actual owners. It goes on and on. In the current economic times they have (for I guess one would assume to be political reasons) heavily favored and some may even say embellished reports of cars by US manufacturers. Giving for instance glowing reviews of GM products they latter were plagued by obvious manufacturer defects and oversights. (I'm not bashing GM products but using this fact to make a point about Consumer Review) There were what could only be assumed to be purposeful oversight with some problems of Ford products. Problems that were not made in the European versions because these problems WERE detected early by the European quality control guys at Ford ! Why didn't Consumer Report catch these problems if they were so easily spotted by the European folks ? One could make the conclusion that they were either ignored or the evaluation was some what lacking. (Again not bashing Ford)

Most international reviews of the MINI are quite good. Also Many in this thread IMHO got it exactly right ! These cars are not just "grocery getters" if your not going to understand these are indeed sport cars and require extra maintenance and care in that regard one would probably be better served driving something else. That being said Most mini owners even the not sport crowd LOVE the MINI and are multi generation owners. I know some here have stated that they have a issues with BMW ownership and manufacturing of the MINI power plant. (I respect and understand that point of view) On the contrary however, I have also read sev auto journals and owners say that since BMW has come into the picture the reliability has dramatically improved. MINI is and hopefully always be a niche market ! That is what makes it fun ! Remember when BMW sold off a lot of it's various other auto company holdings in other original manufacturers the one auto company the didn't sell, or liquidate was MINI ! With every car especially one as unique as MINI there will always be a certain ratio of buyers remorse. However the culture, loyalty, and continue enthusiasm of MINI really speaks for itself. I would suggest that YES before one buys a MINI they should EXTENSIVE research multiple test drives and join a forum as educational, honest, and friendly as this one. That's what I did and in the process of doing right now ! SO MOTOR on MINI owners and don't despair... LOL and IMHO don't let any review good or bad from Consumer Reports effect your pride or experience in your or even future MINI.

5. tybeegirl

tybeegirl Member
    Supporting Member

May 8, 2012
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I was once a fan of the CR--especially in regards to the auto reviews. But without looking any deeper than personal experience, I actually find them to be deeply flawed. I suspect bias, but I don't care enough to pay that much attention. :)
    My '06 Acura TL was highly rated and it was a good car. But the "luxury" and the ride were just that of a Honda Accord for more money IMO. They were not enthusiastic about the '91 MB 300E I put 300K miles on just because maintenance costs were "above average". I think their task is daunting, but I would suggest that when CR increased their focus on services--healthcare, insurance, credit card rules, cell phone packages, cable services to the level that they dominate the magazine---perhaps the reviews of goods has taken a secondary place. And the online CR was an extra $12/month to subscribers of the magazine! I gave up my subscription this year.

6. Little Wing

Little Wing New Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    CR has caused more marital problems in this household than anything else. DH thinks they are invincible. They have a love for Kenmore appliances. I do not care for Kenmore appliances because we have owned many that were unsatisfactory. When an appliance breaks around here I cringe, not only because we are faced with replacing it, but because CR will be dictating our choices with me kicking and fighting all the way. We have been through several Kenmore dishwashers and are having problems with the one we own now. Although under warranty, it recently took 2 weeks for a repairman to come out!

I have recently filled out CR's online auto survey on my Clubbie. I could have said anything about any car at all. There was no verification that I even owned the car I reviewed or had ever been near a Mini. So much for accuracy.

RE: Kenmore - I must say this. My parents bought me a Kenmore washer and dryer in 1985 when I was still single. We still have it, although the washer gave up the ghost about 18 years ago. The dryer is a little temperamental, but it still dries the laundry.