Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Control arm poly bush installation

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by RallyMini370, Apr 27, 2013.

1. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    I've seen a few folks removing the sub frame etc to replace the control arm bushes which seems a BIG job. I was thinking of this route, which you may know of?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7kQn82QB7U]MINI Cooper service on control arm bushing lca easy how to wishbone powerflex power flex - YouTube[/ame]

2. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Sorry but a impact and a torch will never find its way near my car :nonod: More than likely, if your bushings are worn you should at the same time replace the ball joints, the steering rack bushings, the sway bar bushings, the tie rod ends......this is why you should just drop the subframe and do it all :Thumbsup: Oh, and while your there, good time to check the power steering lines that have a tendency to leak :Thumbsup:

3. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    That's a great video. I may have missed it... Do you know which shop should get the recognition for the video??

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    I watched this befor I did my bushings. The problem is I don't have a lift and there is no way I was going to lay on my back with a touch in my hand. I'm very accident pron.
    I dropped the sub fraim. It was not hard, just unbolt the power steering resevor bracket, lower ball joints and tie rod ends. After that it was 6 bolts. Then lower it with your jack.
    The good part about this was I was able to clean the power steering bump and put new clamps on the power steering hoses with out undoing anything.
    I ordered power flex bushings from Detrot Tuned, pre pressed.

It went smooth. Except for a trip to the hospital for stitches. But even stopping for stitches I got it done in a afternoon.

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    You also have to put the car in service mode so you can remove the front bumper horns, and don't forget the steering rack bolt, and the sensor if you have zenons, and the inner fender liners, and, and, and.....

Still, in a home shop with the car on jackstands and laying on the concrete, I agree that dropping the subframe is the easier way to do it. Also, if you don't have access to air and air tools, let alone an Oxy/acet torch this method will not work for you.

Knowing my luck, even with all those tools I'd still wind up dropping the subframe.

In the video the lower control arm came right out of the bushing too, I find most of them do not slip out easily, but rather want to fight you. I've had to rig up a puller or put them in a press to get them off at times.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  7. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    I don't have a torch or impact driver so I normally drill out the rubber part then use a saz-all to cut the outer metal part in 2 places then knock the old bush out. Putting in the poly bush will be similar to the video. Rallying gets you used to crawling around under the car using jackstands in all weather conditions! LOL

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Hope it doesn't snow on you or your monkey. :wink:

9. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    a frozen monkey? ooooo that would be bad.

10. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    Took me less than 2 hours to do both sides with new poly bushes and that's without the help of a monkey!