Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Control Arms?/ Koni Yellows

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Boxcars, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Boxcars

Boxcars New Member

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    On my 05 MCS in the rear i have hotchkiss 25.5 sway bar and TSW v1 all around. Just replaced the Pirellis that came on the car when i bought it (with potenza)and there was slight inside wear, i assume from the lowering.
    The car only gets about 7K a year and the wear is acceptable.

1.Will lower control arms help reduce the wear and improve handling?
    or just reduce the wear.

2. Would replacing the stock dampers (47K) with Koni yellows be the next logical step, and what benifit would i see from that?

thanks in advance
    Boxcars

2. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    You would definetly reduce tire wear to install adjustable rear lower control arms and get a good alignment.

Anytime you lower a MINI you need to install rear adjustable control arms, it's the only way to get the alignment straight.

3. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    With your 05 MCS you have some adjustability of the rear camber. Since you do not put many miles on the car you might want to have an alignment shop adjust the rear camber to as little negative camber as they can get with the stock adjustment. They can probably get it to about -1.7 to -1.8 range. That will help reduce the inside rear tire wear but it will still wear. The stock rear camber spec is -1.6 to -2.6 so even if you had an alignment the shop might have left the camber adjusted to the more negative side of the range (such as -2.6) which would cause a lot of wear especially if the toe is a little off.

I would also suggest having the rear toe adjusted pretty close to zero so the tire does not scrub across the inside edge making the tire wear even faster.

As Way pointed out, if you want to get even less rear negative camber, such as in the -1.0 range, you will need aftermarket adjustable rear lower control arms.

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    All of these are great ideas, but they will tend to decrease the grip of the rear end and with a large rear sway bar you may not want to do this. I am running -1.5 of rear camber and no toe and get just a bit of inside edge tire wear. This is not something to get to concerned about. It only get to be a problem if the wear is extreme enough to cause the inside edge to wear a lot faster.

5. Boxcars

Boxcars New Member

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    thanks guys,
    all good info
    any opinion on the Koni yellows??
    thanks
    boxcars

6. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I run around with -6 camber in the rear. My wear has been fine for the past 9k miles on falken 512's. :Thumbsup:

Camber doesn't eat tires as badly as an improper toe will.

7. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I am running the Koni yellows on full soft which I got from Way with the JCW springs and am happy.

8. andyroo

andyroo New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Sep 8, 2009
    water science and mapping, and suspesnion and brak
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Can you compare this set-up to stock?

How does it do on big bumps?

How does it do on a bunch of smaller bumps close together?

Roads are pretty terrible here....

- Andrew

9. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I wish they had Bilstein HD's for the R53. I've heard from a lot of people that the Koni Yellows are pretty aggressive, which has kept me away from those shocks. Not sure what the best "touring" shock is for a MINI.

10. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    ^ me too. And the HDs for R56 are so darn cheap to compared to Sports for the R53.

I still might give the Yellows or the Bilstein Sports a try with JCW springs. Custom valved Bilstein sports would be my ideal option, so if anyone has a used set they want to get rid of.....

- Andrew

11. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I have a used set of koni yellows if you wanna get those revalved :smilewinkgrin:

12. andyroo

andyroo New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    ha, i'll pm you now. and if anyone has any jcw springs they want to get rid of....:lol:

- andrew

13. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I don't have answers to your exact questions, but when I was getting my suspension from Way last year, he recommended the JCW dampers for me rather than Konis because my car is a daily driver. Way told me that Koni yellows on the softest setting are still firmer than JCWs are. I have my JCW dampers paired with TSW springs (and Bridgestone RE760 Sports) and the ride actually is better than stock because everything is more controlled. That might be a good fit for you, too. Give Way a call and he'll figure out the best set-up for your situation.