1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Convertible top troubles

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by jazzsmith, Aug 13, 2012.

1. jazzsmith

jazzsmith New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    stylist
    New York City
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm having a problem putting down the top on my '07 MCS Cabrio. When I get the sunroof open and press the switch a second time, I get a flashing LED. I then have to go to the trunk (boot) and open and close the loading aid levers - sometimes more than once - to get the top to fully retract. This situation came out of nowhere as I've had the car for almost three years with no problems. Any ideas?

2. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    If fiddling with the loading leavers fixes things, then I'd look to the contact switch under the the little shelf foot on the driver's side. Release the leavers and lift top assembly then check along the rail where the shelf rests. Could be something trapped under there. Or, it could be the switch itself.

3. jazzsmith

jazzsmith New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    stylist
    New York City
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.

4. jazzsmith

jazzsmith New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    stylist
    New York City
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The problem seems to be that, even with the loading levers fully pushed in, the shelf does not put enough downward pressure on the switch to allow the top to be lowered. If I push it in by hand, my wife can then activate the top. So, I'm thinking, what if I got one of those adhesive backed discs that you put on objects so that they don't mar furniture, on top of the switch in the trunk. What do you think?

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Mmmm. Something is awry. That shelf switch takes very little pressure to activate.

Could just replace the switch
    Part 51466980045
    $35 at IMBM Parts

6. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    The big problem with rigging something to defeat that switch is that if something in the boot is pushing the shelf up out of place, you would have no way of knowing that when you try to lower the top... Until your rear window shatters. Which is bad, since it's part of the top...

7. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    That is exactly what I did on the inside of the boot gate for the 'door ajar' switch and that danged 'ajar' light stays off now. Gotta think of something else though, hot weather softens the glue backing and it slides around.

8. jazzsmith

jazzsmith New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    stylist
    New York City
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Problem solved (I hope) with a 10mm adhesive backed felt disc. It seems that the boot shelf slightly warped or something and the piece that makes contact with the switch wasn't hitting the raised part of the rocker switch. It was hitting the flat part. With the spacer in there it engages enough to lower the top. Weird, eh?

9. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Outstanding :Thumbsup:

Update: The ajar light came on yesterday. Found my little felt disk thingie lying in the bottom of the boot. Gotta find a better glue.

10. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    There's an undated, longer plunger switch that solves this problem. Mine was replaced under warranty a few years ago.

11. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that! Now I remember somebody in our car club mentioning that. I thought I'd heard something like that but couldn't put my finger on it. I've got a 'turn your head and cough' appointment for the li'l guy middle of next month and we'll look into it.

12. jazzsmith

jazzsmith New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    stylist
    New York City
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good to know - thanks!