1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Convertible Top

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by AliceCpr07, May 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. AliceCpr07

AliceCpr07 New Member

May 9, 2009
    Towson/Baltimore
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How often does everyone clean/wash their convertible top? and what products do you recommend for the job?

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I rinse my top with water only every time I wash the car (every couple of weeks typically).

I clean the top with 303 Convertible Top Cleaner and treat it with 303 Fabric Protector twice a year.

That's it. Works great, looks great, no worries.

3. AliceCpr07

AliceCpr07 New Member

May 9, 2009
    Towson/Baltimore
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thats what i've been doing-- the water only rinse- but thats just because nothings ever really gotten on the top to dirty it up

i just felt like i may need to do an actual cleaning of the fabric at least once this year. get the grime out :)

Does anyone elses top sqeak really bad when they're putting it up or down?? mines getting to be horrible....

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    that would require putting the top up, right?

5. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Mine squeals when it's been down for a while (overnight or longer) but otherwise is pretty quiet.

6. Mishka

Mishka Badge Whore

May 4, 2009
    Locomotive Engineer
    Southeast Missouri
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    It won't hurt to clean the top once or twice a year(or more if it gets really dirty). I use a convertible top cleaner a couple of times a year then apply the top protectant.

7. Commander Dan

Commander Dan New Member

May 13, 2009
    Medical Equipment Service
    Alpharetta, GA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I've got the Navy Blue top - leave the car parked outside 24/7, and use car wash soap and a soft bristle brush every time I wash the car. It still looks brand new, doesn't leak, squeak, or ANYthing!! It is, however, an '07 so...

8. MINIMaybee

MINIMaybee Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    Engineer
    Centennial, CO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    What Blimey gets (squeaks and care routine) Matilda get similar.
    One thing about the waterproofing stuff, you want to do it in direct sun when the top gets hot. The heat helps the product cure and will result in longer lasting protection. Also After a suggestion from Paul I've started painting the 303 Fabric Guard on the top. Easier to control (no overspray) and better saturation.

9. MINIBee

MINIBee New Member

May 4, 2009
    Senior Video Producer, St. Petersburg Times
    Tampa, FL
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    What he said.

I have been known to stand out front with the hose running on the fabric just so I can see the "glass beads" of water roll off the top right after a fresh 303 treatment.

Here's a little video of the "dancing beads."

10. Commander Dan

Commander Dan New Member

May 13, 2009
    Alpharetta, GA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    OK - Where the heck do you find the "303" stuff? I use the RaggTopp protectant, but it is a spray-on product, is fairly expensive, and (perhaps because I'm parked outside 24/7) not especially long lasting. Do you have to special order it from the dealer? Thanks in advance.

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  12. MINIBee

MINIBee New Member

May 4, 2009
    Senior Video Producer, St. Petersburg Times
    Tampa, FL
    Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    #12 MINIBee, May 16, 2009
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
    I get it at Detailer's Paradise and sometimes on [ame="http://www.amazon.com/303-Fabric-Convertible-Cleaner-Protector/dp/B000A8JNF0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1242493295&sr=8-4"]Amazon.com: 303 Fabric Convertible Top Cleaner & Protector Kit (030520): Automotive[/ame].

13. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    And... as MiniMaybee said... the instructions for 303 protector say to spray it on. I figured out a while back that it works much better to pour it in a bowl and brush it on with a soft paintbrush - gets better penetration into the fibers and no issues with overspray on the paint. I suspect you could do the same thing with RaggTopp (if it's a trigger spray - non aerosol) but I haven't tried it that way.

14. Commander Dan

Commander Dan New Member

May 13, 2009
    Alpharetta, GA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, everybody. I went to their site, found a nearby dealer, and will check it out more thoroughly.

15. Speedy1

Speedy1 Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

I use the same stuff...it is great!! Otherwise I just spray the top whenever I give Stella a bath.

16. Perfusion

Perfusion New Member

May 23, 2009
    Cardiovascular Perfusionist
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know I can get 303 Aerospace Protectant at my preferred local auto parts store... Now that I've got the cabrio, I'll have to see if I can get their line of convertible top treatments. I just washed mine this morning, and precisely *zero* beads of water formed on the top! It might as well have been a t-shirt in terms of appearance, only no water seeped through (as it would've on a t-shirt). If I can find the 303 cabrio top stuff locally, I'll be happy to send you some.

17. Perfusion

Perfusion New Member

May 23, 2009
    Cardiovascular Perfusionist
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Whoops! Just noticed this post... If you can find it locally, that's probably the best way. I'll see what I can find around these parts...

18. MINInurse

MINInurse New Member

May 4, 2009
    Delivering Babies
    Too far away!
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I found a site online where I could buy 303 in bulk! So I got on the way a couple of gallons!!

My problem is that the original bottle I bought didn't do the entire top.. I can't wait till it rains to see how much actually is done :mad2: :lol:

19. MiniDaMoocher

MiniDaMoocher New Member

May 22, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The protectant works better the cleaner the fabric. One trick that Heather showed me is that you can get a lot of the loose dirt off prior to using the cleaner by first using your hand and moderately wrapping the top to loosen the dirt and then use a lint roller (or other tape like product) to lift it off the top. One time I used duct tape, but a lint roller seems to be the easiest.

I have battled with the paint vs. spray methods. At the moment I do both. I spray anywhere there's no overspray issue and paint anywhere there is.

Haven't found a local place which carries Fabric yet, except DP which only sells the 16oz bottles. I'd like to find either the 32oz or even the gallon refills. The problem is, there doesn't seem to much if any price break for quantity. Where do you'all get yours?