1st Gen R50 Cooper Most liked posts in thread: Coolant Question

1. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    If you are unsure how long the coolant has been in the car, I would get it flushed out and replaced with fresh stuff.

Not sure about mixing them tho.

2. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    A few different things come to mind.

If the coolant cap was missing when you bought the car, you should get it flushed. Don't screw around, just get it right the first time. A shop familiar with MINIs will do a better job because there isn't an easy drain point on the MINIs, and it takes some skill to refill the car and bleed the coolant correctly. (Check map here for recommended MINI shops.)

The green color could be due to mixing BMW blue with Zerex G-05 yellow - the two are compatible because they're phosphate free. But I'm not sure I'd take that risk knowing the previous owner's carelessness.

And as for the loss of coolant, take a flashlight and look around the car. I'm not sure about Coopers, but the 06 Cooper S commonly leaks around the thermostat housing. You should be able to find some drips and trace them around the car to the source.

3. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Although most coolants are compatible it is a used vehicle with no apparent maintenance history. As Scottinbend suggested do the coolant change and get up to date on your new MINI.

4. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Don't take a chance, find someone that knows MINIs (ask other owners if you don't know one) and flush the system. This is a regular maintenance item anyways.

Mark

5. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated! I'm in touch with MINI Victoria, trying to get a call back from the service department. I'll make an appointment to have it flushed as soon as possible. Would it be dangerous to run with it low for a week or so as long as the temperature isn't running high? Would it be a better bet to add BMW Blue/Water short-term, or would any incompatibility crop up pretty much right away?

6. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    If you don't live where it's below 0 or above 150 I'd just add some water.

Mark

7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

What Mark said. :Thumbsup:

If you can see coolant adding water is the best and safest thing to do until you get the coolant system replaced.

8. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    That would be like -19C, never gonna happen in Victoria:Thumbsup:

Like has been said, keep it topped up with H2O, and get the coolant changed ASAP.

Mark

9. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys! MINI actually recommended the same thing.. top it off with water and bring it in for a flush when I can. They quoted me $118 including supplies and labor. Since I have that gallon of BMW Blue Stuff in the boot, it should be a pretty inexpensive trip as far as dealerships go.

10. FUEGO

FUEGO Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    IT Geek
    DFW Texas
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Also - the temp indicator on an R50/R52/R53 is basically an "idiot light with a pointer." Software drives the slow climb to midpoint which is where you will always see it, unless there is a problem. When you start to overheat the pointer will not "climb" to the upper range, it will go straight to maximum. In other words, the temp indicator has only 3 positions - off (low), on (midrange single position) and high (max position).

Manual flushes on these cars are difficult to get all of the old fluid out. A power flush at the dealer or another reputable shop is highly recommended particularly due to the greenish color of your existing fluid.

11. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Not entirely true.....if you have the "Chrono" pack...that is the Speedo+tack over the steering wheel, and guages in the center, those gauges Do give you a goo radiator temp and oil oil pressure...there is a bit of a mystery over the source of the oil temp source though...
    As for the difficulty...the r53 is tough (I did it myself 2 times)...and I know the r50 is a bit of a pain to do right... my local Mini guy uses a vacuum bleeder to help...says it saves tons of time....but few diy'ers are non-mini centeric shops will have a tool like this!!

12. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    The R53 is tough because there's no easy drain point. You can disconnect the lower radiator hose, but gravity alone won't flush everything out. There's no way to circulate and flush at the same time, like you could do with a drain screw teed into a radiator hose.

Your mechanic probably uses an air lift tool to refill the system. They're not too expensive, and the time saved is mostly because it decreases the chance of developing an air bubble in the system on the first try. The DIY'er has the benefit of time, but the professional mechanic has to get it right the first time or waste time tilting the car, bleeding multiple times, and squeezing hoses.

Here's an example of an air lift tool

13. FUEGO

FUEGO Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    IT Geek
    DFW Texas
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    You're correct. I forgot about the Chrono Pack - none of our Gen1 cars have it so I tend to forget it was an option.

14. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Good to know about the temp gauge! I do not have the chrono pack. I'll be taking it easy on the car for a few days and trying to get it in for a flush at the MINI dealership early next week.

15. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    A bit of a follow up here. I called the dealership where I bought the car (a Lexus/Toyota place.) to complain about the problem. They asked that I bring it in and their mechanic would have a look at it. We took the car to a nearby independent shop that does a lot of work for them.

The mechanic had a look and told me that he couldn't find a leak anywhere, although that didn't mean that there wasn't one somewhere. He mainly works on domestic and japanese imports and isn't an expert on European cars. He suggested I take it to BMW and have them show me where the leak is if they find anything.

It looks like Toyota won't really be able to help me with this. It seems like it will be worth a few bucks to make sure it's done right at a MINI shop by a MINI mechanic. I will be calling Victoria BMW/MINI tomorrow morning and making an appointment to have the system flushed and the leak found. Has anyone had similar work done who could give me a rough cost estimate for having a leak in this system fixed? Is there a common spot for the leak?

16. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    A bit of a follow up here. I called the dealership where I bought the car (a Lexus/Toyota place.) to complain about the problem. They asked that I bring it in and their mechanic would have a look at it. We took the car to a nearby independent shop that does a lot of work for them.

The mechanic had a look and told me that he couldn't find a leak anywhere, although that didn't mean that there wasn't one somewhere. He mainly works on domestic and japanese imports and isn't an expert on European cars. He suggested I take it to BMW and have them show me where the leak is if they find anything.

It looks like Toyota won't really be able to help me with this. It seems like it will be worth a few bucks to make sure it's done right at a MINI shop by a MINI mechanic. I will be calling Victoria BMW/MINI tomorrow morning and making an appointment to have the system flushed and the leak found. Has anyone had similar work done who could give me a rough cost estimate for having a leak in this system fixed? Is there a common spot for the leak?

17. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Sorry about that double post! I have a bit of an update and a Bump. I put some particle board under the car last night to try to isolate the leak. Can anyone tell from looking at this photo where the problem is coming from? I have an appointment with MINI but it is not until next Monday.

18. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I cannot see the photo.

19. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry, let me try again:

[​IMG]

20. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Just a silly wild ass guess, but I'll put my money on the thermostat housing. A known issue on R50 / R53 MINIs. Not terribly expensive.