Most liked posts in thread: Cooper Tire seeks to break off deal to sell to Apollo

1. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    I don't like seeing American companies going to foreign lands for cheaper labor, either, but that HAS to signal something...bad. Union pricing and money-grabbing here is just killing the economy.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    Not a fan of Cooper Tires, but I don't like this either. Folks shopping at Walmart are not helping jobs stay stateside.

3. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Before the collapse of the economy the US was on track to be the cheapest place to get high quality manufacturing. I number of foreign companies were looking at starting up new facilities here in the south.

Now 5 years down the road we have tons of new regulations and potentially big cost for employers. No company wants to deal with that.

Notice the number of auto companies announcing new plants in Mexico? They will get cheaper labor and American technical people will commute to provide expertise.

There is a potential for a big manufacturing boom because of cheap natural gas in the plastic resin industry unless the government gets in the way again.

4. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Hmm. Wonder why.....?

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    Car companies going to Mexico. I believe a large part is NAFTA.

6. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    BMW and VW were looking to expand operations here. Instead they are building in Mexico. It's not just the labor rate but the reduced overall cost and fewer regulations. Don't get me wrong. I'm in favor of safe working places but it has gone overboard.