Cooper Winter Rally

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by Xcmtber14, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Xcmtber14

Xcmtber14 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    How many of you out there race your Mini's in any winter rallies/ Ice-cross events. I purchased a set of high performance winter tires and am throwing around the idea of trying out the FWD/Winter tire class. Just wondering anyones experiences, tips and tricks, what psi to run etc.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I have not done this but I think lower tire pressure would allow for better traction and a larger contact patch between the tire and the snow / ice.

I would experiment with different PSI levels starting off at 30 PSI and go down.

Good luck, have FUN and post up some pictures.

3. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Where are you guys? We have a "Wintry Driving Refresher" that PittStopMINI puts on every year, this year it'll be Feb 9 at PittRace in Wampum, PA (45 min N of Pittsburgh & not so far from Cleveland/Akron). It's billed as a "vehicle dynamics class", and it is, but we tend to measure student's progress with a stopwatch sometimes... we've been doing this for about 7 years now...

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I am a 1/2 hour west of Philly and I do my own "vehicle dynamics class" when it snows in local parking lots when I feel like taking my car out.

The key is to not overheat your car while fooling around ...opps I mean taking a "vehicle dynamics class" in deep snow. :p

It may look like fooling around but you can really learn what your tires and car will really do in an open area before you have to do it in an emergency situation in a small area.