1st Gen R53 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Copper-based anti-seize required for plugs?

1. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Hi temp? I got the same stuff yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Woah, you're quick. :lol:

My gray stuff says it can be used for spark plugs, so maybe it's OK. :confused5:

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I would be real careful and use the correct stuff. I'm a little fuzzy on this, but I seem to remember the wrong coating will mess up your O2 sensor or maybe the catalytic converter?

4. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My MINI Guru friend says the trick is just to apply a very small amount above the 2nd thread of the plug -- ie -- no anti seize in the combustion chamber.

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Your guru is right.......

But I've never had a plug sieze in the head in the 45 years I've been working on engines. Clean threads and proper torque is all I've ever needed......

6. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info/tips, guys.

(I did some searching on the web and there doesn't seem to be anything definitive on why copper-based anti-seize might need to be used. :confused5:)

7. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the anti-seize works to prevent galling between the dissimilar metals of the aluminum head and the steel spark plug threads. The gray stuff is fine to use. Just a apply a very thin coat to the spark plug threads and stay away from the last couple threads. No chunks, no brush hairs, either.

You can avoid the issue of galling by changing your spark plugs every 50k or so. Also, removal technique is important: once you break the plug loose with the first turn, keep turning with a smooth steady motion and don't stop. This is important if you haven't changed them say, for 100 or 120k miles. And this is also a relatively new phenomenon with the widespread use of aluminum heads to save weight.

8. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Anti seize is a good idea with any thread especially when working with aluminum. The exception in required dry area's or no chemical lubricants of operational parts. Not sure why there is a concern for getting a little in the combustion chamber (lol) it will burn. (see combustion temps.) But if you get it on the grounding electrode you might cause the spark plug to foul or not fire? As for copper not sure why you would have any deliberate use for it around anything automotive? Can't really hurt anything it is just not used though! If you look into it the use it is rated more for stainless steel and were regulation apply for chemical uses such as in hospitals or Nuclear power plants. LOL?
    As for anti seize and the 02 sensors I believe if you look into that it is with sealants like silicone where you should make certain they are all sensor safe. lol Most 02 sensors comes with anti seize already applied to the threads and a protective cap to preserve the aniti seize for installation!

9. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    My plugs came with their own anti-seize. Got them from Waylan.

Mark

10. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Just remembered, the MINI tech at the dealer up in Winnipeg used copper based anti-seize on the back side of wheels when re-mounting them. I just use regular silver coloured stuff.

Mark

11. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The grey stuff

is Moly di-sulfide, I think. It's really good stuff. One jar should last a lifetime!

Matt

12. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Well I went out look into my shop supplies and found not only my regular but a large container of cooper anti seize. So I guess I might have a deliberate use for it....:blush2: :lol:

Here is what the cooper anti seize container says. So it is a good thing on plugs, sensors brakes.........

A premium quality copper anti-seize and thread lubricant that may be used to prevent seizing, corrosion and galling where high temperature conditions exist.

13. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Funny you mention this I bought a lb. way back in the early 80s and still have some! In its raw MOLIBNIUM di-sulfide (Moly lube) it is a fine powder that can be mixed with just about anything.
    Works great mixing a little with oil as a more liquid assembly lube.

14. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    OK, this is the stuff I used:

[​IMG]

"Permatex® Anti-Seize Lubricant

A highly refined blend of aluminum, copper and graphite lubricants. Use during assembly to prevent galling, corrosion and seizing and to assure easier disassembly. Temperature range: -60°F to 1600°F (-51°Cto 871°C)."

I used a tiny bit. The plugs went in much smoother than when they came out. I guess things are OK. :Thumbsup:

15. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

:Thumbsup:

Next thread about plugs the proper way to power gap and choose the correct heat range....Titiled "Minis Not all engines are the same":lol: