Could a MINI Pull Up a Jet Ski?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by ke4sfq, Aug 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ke4sfq

ke4sfq Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Technology Coordinator for a School District
    Florence, AL
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Hey Guys,

Just toying around with the idea. I have an older 2 seater Jet Ski that weighs around 650lbs not including trailer. I know the MINI wouldn't have any issues towing it, a lot of people are pulling heavier loads than that with their MINIs. My question is do you think it would be able to pull it up the boat ramp out of the water?

Been back and forth, some of my friends think it would be better than their small trucks because its front wheel drive where their real wheels spin close to the water where its slippery.

Anybody try it before?
    Kevin

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Should be able to do it easily....

I used to haul a boat with my VW Rabbit pickup, same idea, front wheels up out of the wet ramp and on the dry for better traction. Just set the weight of the trailer up right so the tongue weight is correct for the load and it should easily do the job.

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    As long as you got traction shouldn't be a problem......

4. ke4sfq

ke4sfq Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Technology Coordinator for a School District
    Florence, AL
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    That's good to hear!

Nice!

I am almost to the point now of wanting to do it just to say it can (or can't) be done! I might even be able to get to be the first in a MINI! I also have a friend who says it WILL be recorded on video to make fun of me if it goes horrible wrong. :crazy:

5. Jackson

Jackson New Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Charlotte
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let us know... different variables will provide different results ... but still interested.
    I know some pull a trailer up to 1600 lbs. So weight isn't an issue ... but slipping is.

6. RoadRoar

RoadRoar New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 5, 2009
    Design and product development, also general busin
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I think properly executed this should be no problem. I have pulled a 1,500 lb.trailer up
    some extreme grades and as long as you don't spin the clutch too much you won't burn it
    up. With the class II (3,500 lbs.) min. tow rating on all of the MiniFini systems hitch failure is not the problem. The weakest link in the system is the clutch in the car. O.S. Giken makes an excellent quality heavy duty replacement clutch.