Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Couldn't believe that my wife said "You need wheels"..

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by JCC, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Course, now he knows someone else has those wheels. That would be like your girlfriend buying the same dress for prom. :D

2. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I vote #1 based on looks and weight, and #2 based on fitment

the 7.5 et40 is nearly perfect. the other one is in a little further

3. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Nice....

Hard enough to pick a new wheel among the 1000's of choices between what you like and what will fit and you bring this up!
    :devil::cornut:

4. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info. So I'd need spacers or something to make the 17x7 "nearly perfect"?

To complicate things more, someone is selling a set of the Tenzo R Type M in black. The ones he's selling has some curb rash on one of them, but the price is good. Only three months old with tires though I'd put my Hankooks on them instead.

black
    [​IMG]

vs the machined/black we were looking at before
    [​IMG]

5. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    wow those black ones are sweet!

the lower offset and wider rim will stick out maybe an extra half an inch or so (compared to stock), and it definately seems to help in the looks dept.

6. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I missed out on the local sale, but I still need to decide which ones I want to get. Ideally one of those two.

Did you say I would need spacers to making them closer to 7.5 i.e. "nearly perfect"? Or maybe I'm just getting confused.

7. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    seeing as how I bought those wheels in '05 for my wife's cabrio, they ended up on my coupe and were maybe set #2 out of 15+ I owned on that car....don't think there's an issue there. I don't even remember who I sold them to....its been perhaps four years now. :Thumbsup:

8. orangecrush

orangecrush New Member

May 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I know I'm a little late and I didn't read all the posts but I have a question for you.

Does she have a sister? :lol:

If you like that style, you may want to check out OZ Ultralaggera wheels. They are pretty close style wise but they only weigh 14.x lbs in 17's.

Just a suggestion.

Mark

9. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Which ones did you have, the ASAs or the Tenzo Rs?

She does have a sister, but she's no where near as cool. And she's married. I'll take a look at the OZ Ultraleggera again. Thanks.

The new fridge won this round, but next time we have the money its on.

10. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    We bought our fridge last night at Sears too.......who in their right mind would believe that refridgerators could cost $2000?

No, we didn't buy one that expensive, ours was "only" $1400!

No car parts for now for me either.

OTOH, that new intercooler from DoS is $1600, for what amounts to a small radiator.......

11. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    theyll look fine im sure. you could always grab some 5mm spacers or something if they dont sit out enough for your tastes

12. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'd want them as flush as possible, but don't want them to rub. Which 5mm spacers are recommended or are spacers spacers?

13. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    We ordered a Samsung which was on sale at Lowe's 20% off. Paid around $1100 for a $1499 model. Not bad. She said the wheels will have to wait, but at least she's still on board. I just have to decide which color of the Tenzo R. I'm pretty torn, but really like those.

14. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Interesting......we bought a Samsung too!

Sears had them on sale for 30% off, which was about $50 lower than their regular low, low price! :D

So, no wheels (or anything else) for me either!

15. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    i dunno, i think H&R makes them. I think Outmotoring has some IIRC

16. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ours was 20% off and we had a 10% off coupon that they took, so we saved 30%. They talked us into the warranty which bumped the price back up some. Extended the warranty for four years beyond the one year manufacturer's warranty for $119ish. Hopefully we'll have it delivered in a week. Not exactly instant gratification.

I remember seeing those. I'm sure just about everyone has them. I appreciate the help.

17. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    17x7.5 et32 is about "as flush as possible" as you say. 205/40/17's

Mine were originally 17x7.5 et40, but they have 8mm spacers up front. It's about as flush as you can get without poking.

For the most part, spacers are spacers as long as you don't get the super ghetto $5 universal types. Those are the one exception. They are a pain to install and they generally aren't straight. Other than that, any 4x100 spacer that looks quality is just as good as the expensive H&R's or whatever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Rally. The tires I have now are 215/45/17. Are you saying I need to drop to 205/40/17 if I'm going to that kind of fitment with the Tenzo R Type M Version 2? Stock suspension as of right now. Its a daily driver that I do take on the freeway on the way to/from work for around 20 miles each way. What do you think about the wheels? Didn't know if you had any experience with them. I'm open to other suggestions.

19. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    No, I was just sharing the specs of what was pictured so you knew what you were looking at.

You'd be fine with 215/45's...I would stick to 5mm spacers if that's what you end up running.

I like the tenzo's the best from the ones you posted.

20. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info. Trying to decide between the black and the machined/black Tenzo R. Tough one.